I'm 31 & at my ideal weight. Will being fit& healthy help my recovery go quicker & possibly result in less swelling? (photo)

I do hard cardio & weight interval training & am really hoping not to be out of commission for to long. I am extremely active with 2 small children & don't want them to suffer for to long while I'm recovering. My surgery is set for October 3rd!

Recovery from surgery

+1

You don't say in particular the surgery you are having done. However, most patients recover at comparable rates from the same operations. Being at your ideal weight and in good health is also a plus. Your surgeon can give you an idea as to what to expect during recovery.

I'm 31 & at my ideal weight. Will being fit& healthy help my recovery go quicker & possibly result in less swelling?

+1

Healthy people at ideal weight should have the best overall recovery, but some of this will depend upon the surgical technique and adherence to postoperative protocols.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

The good part is that yes, the risks are lower and the results better in fit patients near their ideal weight. 

The bad part is that some fit patients overdo it too soon after surgery. It will be 6 weeks before your incisions and muscle repair have reached 90% of their strength, the usual threshold for complete activity. Let your surgeon guide your  return to activities. Thanks, all the best. 

Good Health and Recovery

+1

Being in good health is always a benefit for recovery, however be careful not to do too much too soon, allow your body to heal. Continue with a healthy diet and follow your surgeons post operative instructions. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Being fit will help speed your recovery.

+1

Hi RealFitMom.  You should give your body the time it needs to heal after any surgical procedure.  However, you should have an easier time since you are fit and healthy.  Good luck!

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon