Memory Gel Implants for Women Under 22? Suggested?

Hi I am interested in Memory Gel implants for a while, as for my age I am only 20. I was wondering is it safe for women to get silicone at this age? I know there are places that actually does it for ages under 23. Thank you

+1

In my opinion, there is no good reason why there is an FDA  mandated age of 22 for patients to receive silicone breast implants. There are many patients under the age of 22 who would ( based on their body type and the advantages of silicone breast implants) benefit from the use of silicone gel breast implants. Unfortunately, the use of these implants for these younger patients will negate the breast implant manufacturer warranty.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/saline-vs-silicone.htm

Of course you can have Memory Gel (silicone) implants!

+1

First of all, you should understand that you don't have to be 22 in order to receive silicone gel implants (made by any of the 3 implant companies in the US).

Silicone implants under the age of 22 are perfectly legal and appropriate for patients who have fully informed consent, and understand that use of silicone implants under the age of 22 is considered "off-label" by the FDA.

Off-label use is something that every doctor does frequently, when a medication is prescribed for another reason than the primary FDA-approved indication. For example, Botox is approved for cosmetic use only for the frown muscles between the brows. I suspect that virtually every physician who uses Botox ALSO uses it for crows feet expression lines, forehead lines, and other areas as well. This is an example of "off-label" use.

We're not breaking the rules or being unethical, we are simply making an informed medical choice in conjunction with our properly-informed patient. And we are certainly not in risk of losing our license to practice! Nor, IMHO, should we so easily cede our right to make our own informed medical decisions (patients) or provide proper medical advice based on training and experience in our patients' best interests (doctors).

So , yes, it's possible; yes, it's legal; and I do this for my patients who are properly informed and choose that option.

You need to talk to a few other ABPS-certified plastic surgeons; especially those who support the right of properly-informed patients between the ages of 18 and 22 to consent and request the implants of their choice. I do. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Web reference: http://www.realself.com/article/dr-tholens-comprehensive-guide-breast-augmentation

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants are only approved by FDA for women over 22.

+1

As of November of 2006, women over the age of 22 years old are eligible to receive silicone breast implants under the guidelines established by the FDA.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Memory gel implants are safe for women under 22 years of age

+1

Silicone gel implants are safe for women under the age of 22. However, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants only in patients at least 22 years of age. It is not possible for you to undergo breast augmentation with this type of implant in the United States until that time.

Best regards,

Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Silicone Breast Implants can ONLY be placed in women 22 years and Older

+1

Regarding: "Memory Gel Implants for Women Under 22? Suggested?
Hi I am interested in Memory Gel implants for a while, as for my age I am only 20
. I was wondering is it safe for women to get silicone at this age? I know there are places that actually does it for ages under 23. Thank you
"

Silicone gel Breast Implants are PERFECTLY safe. Gel implants have been more closely scrutinized than ALL other man-made implants (including joints, shunts, heart valves, pacemakers etc). But, when the FDA allowed the unrestricted use of silicone breast implants, without the restrictions they were under between 1992-2006, it specified recipients had to be 22 years and older. You you want gel implants you will have to wait a few years.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Age restriction for silicone gel implants

+1

The FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants only in patients at least 22 years of age, so it is not possible for you to undergo breast augmentation with this type of implant in the United States until that time.

Gel implants

+1

Until you over 22, you are not allowed to get gel implants. This is mandated by the FDA.  It can not be done in the US.

Not on the FDA's watch

+1

Mobilee,

You cannot get silicone gel filled breast implants in this country until you are 22 years of age.  Anyone who is placing them in younger patients is jeopardizing their license to practice medicine.  So, your choice is to either get saline filled implants now or wait until your 22nd birthday.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://francisnyplasticsurgery.com/breast_aug.asp

Memory Gel is SAFE for Women Under 22

+1

When the FDA allowed the silicone implants back on the market in 2006, one of the prerequisites was that women be 22 yo or older.  The age was really an arbitrary number ( why not 18?  21?), and was based more on the fact that the FDA felt women who were 22 might be more mature then someone who is 18.  It had nothing to do with a safety issue, which is why they can be used for women under 22 who meet certain criteria.   If they have some breast asymmetry, congenital chest problems, or severe underdevelopment, then they can be utilized.  These are fairly grey areas, and alot of women can fall into these categories. The implants are safe and do not cause any of the medical problems that were claimed throughout the 1990's.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Must be 22 for silicone gel implants in the U.S.

+1

I think most plastic surgeons who have used silicone implants and are familiar with the studies are comfortable with recommending them. Although safety issues are not an age-related, the FDA in the U.S. mandated a minimum age of 22 for having them. This will vary in other countries.