Do Memory Gel Implants Shrink?

I was wondering if Memory Gel Implants will shrink over time? I've heard that Saline implants does shrink as time goes on. I am not talking about the swelling after you get your implants, just i guess after a few years. Looking look-term.. which implants will last better? Thank you!

Saline implants can 'shrink' a little.

+2

Silicone Gel implants do not of themselves shrink. The breast itself can change size from weight loss, exercise and hormonal changes. Saline implants on the other hand can lose volume over time. When first placed at surgery, they are generally filled to create a nice firm feel to the prosthesis. It is not unusual to see long term patients back, who after many years, have lost fill in the prosthesis and can even have palpable ridging. This has generally been attributed to “gradual evaporation” for no better explanation. All things considered, for the long term, silicone prosthesis will more likely maintain their shape and feel.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Implants do not shrink.

+2

No implant  "shrinks" unless it is ruptured.  Specifically, gel implants do not shrink.  Do not make your decision about which implant is best for you by which one shrinks, rather discuss with your doctor what you expect from the operation and what you prefer. There are pros and cons to each type of implant.

My staff and I educate our patients about what to expect from each implant and what to expect from surgery etc.  Ultimately I feel that the choice of implant is a patient's personal decision.  We give you the information so that you can make an informed decision, but you get to make the decision based on what you want and expect.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

No

+1
Breast Implants are a man made product, they eventually wear out and leak, but they don't shrink if they aren't ruptured. 

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Implants do not shrink unless they leak

+1
Implants do not shrink unless they rupture and leak. However, your breasts will gradually change in shape and size as you age, gain/lose weight or become pregnant. 

All implants are not lifetime devices, however they can last for several years. You should probably choose an implant based on the improvement you'd like to achieve rather than what lasts longer.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Longevity of silicone breast implants

+1

Silicone gel filled implants do not shrink over time, although there is a risk of rupture with both silicone and saline implants. The longer you have your breast implants, the higher the chance one of them will leak.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

My shrinking breast implants!

+1

In general, it is not likely that an implant will experience any significant degree of shrinking over time. Your breast may get smaller but that can be due to a variety of causes (capsular contracture, weight loss, involutional atrophy, boney recontouring, etc.)

Implants and longevity

+1

Saline implants or silicone gel implants.,  I think that they can both last about the same amount of time.