Are Mentor III Memory Gel Anatomically Shaped Implants Any Good?

What are your feelings on the Mentor III Memory Gel anatomically shaped implants? I am a retired thoroughbred jockey at 5 ft 4 in 104 lbs and wondered if the anatomical shape of gummy bears would give a more natural appearance?

No doubt. ANATOMIC implants (Allergan, Mentor)

Thank you for your question. If yo asked me about this sub 15 years ago, i would answer that ROUND IMPLANTS were the best with no doubt. Since 1997 we have in Spain & Europe the ANATOMIC SHAPED IMPLANTS. Currently 80% people demand anatomic shaped implants (an almost 99% in >30 years old) - in primary aesthetic breast augmentation. We perform and average of 600 augmentation surgeries in a year, so I think the data is quite representative. In the other hand, in best Hospitals of Spain (European leader in Plastic Surgery) the ratio ANATOMICAL:ROUND is 4:1 in primary aesthetic augmentation mammoplasties. I think that in USA, FDA promotes a highly defensive medicine/surgery; but the anatomical shape "fever" will arrive...

Spain Plastic Surgeon

Nice results can be obtained with most implants

Although I do not personally care for shaped or so-called anatomic implants because my patients can't massage them there are some plastic surgeons who do. The newest generation of gummy bear type implants have not yet been approved by the FDA, we hope the approval will come soon. My personal preference is the currently approved cohesive gel implants. I think these give a very pretty, natural result.. You have a great pre-op shape of your breasts and should be able to achieve a very nice natural appearance with a cohesive gel implant. Discuss your options with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Pro's and cons of shaped implants

There is no single best answer for what type of implant is best for any individual. While the "anatomic" implants, more correctly called shaped implants, may produce a slope on the upper portion of the breast that you might prefer, round implants generally have a similar slope in the upright position when they are appropriately sized. The gummy bear implants are firmer and require a longer incision so a longer scar. On the other hand, there are some breast shapes, for instance if the base foundation is more oval than round, that work better with shaped implants. Best to meet with your plastic surgeon and get into some detail about your own preferences and expectations, and any considerations about your anatomy.

Richard Baxter, MD

One of many options

The anatomeic gel implants will be one of the options for patients and ideally the options will be individualized for each patient. The differences between the available implants can be discussed with you surgeon. Right now they appear to be a great option for certain situations.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Shaped, Form Stable Breast Implants

Sientra and Allergan have shaped form stable breast implants. Shaped-form stable breasts implants are implants that are designed with a lower point of maximal projection, and they are designed with what is considered an anatomic shape. In some patients they provide a more natural appearing breast augmentation result. This is a shaped form-stable implant. They come in a wide variety of sizes and shapes. This one is a little bit taller than it is wide. It has a fairly low point of maximal projection, and it’s an intermediate projection implant. Are shaped form-stable implants the best device for every patient? Well, no. If you have a breast that’s already full in the lower pole and somewhat elongated, you will get a perfectly good result with a round implant in most cases. However, if you have a very small starting breast volume (A or small B), and especially if you need to have the inframammary fold lowered to achieve an ideal implant position on the chest wall then shaped form-stable implants provide a lot of advantages. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Natural appearing breast augmentation

You have excellent appearing breasts that will accept any modest sized implants and produce a natural appearance.

Although the sound of anatomic implants may seem appealing, the aesthetic results are challenging with an implant that could aggravate the subtle asymmetry that you already exhibit: You right is slightly larger and your left nipple is slightly lower. Anatomic implants can be smooth or textured. Rotation of a shaped implant can distort an actually accentuate the mild asymmetry you have.

In my opinion go with a lower projecting round implant in order to achieve a "natural" appearance.

Shaped implants may not be for everyone

The Mentor product that you ask about is a wonderful implant, however the use and need of a shaped implant is a very controversial one. I am happy to give you my own point of view, though you will come to see others may have a very different opinion.

We consider breast augmentation a breast enhancement procedure. All individuals have unique characteristics within the breast and augmentation effectively enhances the natural breast shape and size. The vast majority of patients will do quite well with a round smooth breast implant of moderate profile of either a saline or silicone gel fill, placed into a position which maintains the best cover and softness over time; a submuscular position. The smooth round implant will not create friction in the pocket and blend well with the breast tissue with a soft and natural result. They are more likely to move and flow with the breast and look well from all positions.

A shaped implant of a very cohesive gel is designed to maintain its shape and impart this characteristic or personality on the breast. The implant is stiff by nature and the texture to keep the implant from rotating and shifting will reduce the natural softness and flow of the breast. I find them less than optimal for augmentation though very effective in breast reconstruction.

Anatomic highly cohesive gels are "new" however we have seen decades of excellent augmentations with round smooth ones except in very special circumstances. Take your time considering.

peterejohnsonmd

You have a good starting point for a natural result

Aside from a slight asymmetry, you have a nice starting point for a natural result. In my opinion, a moderate profile Mentor gel implant of appropriate base dimension to fit your chest wall would give you a more natural result than an "anatomical" implant which is generally taller than it is wide and is designed to create upper pole fullness that is beyond natural.

Smooth round moderate profile plus for your shape

All of the implants you mention are excellent-its a matter of waht you want to achieve.

In my experience (27 years), the smooth round implants give a much more natural breast appearance.

You have a very petite feminine shape with very natural attractive feminine breasts. I would say you look excellent the way you are.

However, if you want fuller breasts, I would go small, 225 to 250 cc and use the Mentor Smooth round moderate profile plus gel implants. This will give you a very natural appearing full breast that fits your shape. The anatomicals do not fall and mold into a natural shape in my experience.

See before and after photos of breast augmentation.

Anatomically shaped implants

The new Mentor anatomically shaped implants are a great implants for some patients.  It is important for your plastic surgeon to examine you before making any recommendations though.   There are several factors that go into selecting the proper implant, so considering the options to address your concerns will give you the best result.

Adam L. Basner, MD