Numbness of Top Lip/Nose Shaving?

Hi doctors, 11 days ago I had a rhinoplasty and chin implant procedure performed. The surgeon shaved the sides of my nose to make it thinner with the shaving done through the mouth. Now my top lip is numb and it looks really weird to smile or even open my mouth. do you know how long this feeling usually lasts? and is it common to to shave down the sides of the nose through the mouth?

Numbness After Surgery

+1

Because you are so early on in the healing process after both procedures, I'd give it at least 3-4 weeks until you should absolutely seek attention from your surgeon. Seeing symtoms like this are fairly common with the approach that you described.

Numbness of Lip after Rhinoplasty

+1

Lip numbness after rhinoplasty is not common when performed through the nose.  However, an intraoral approach could produce this, and most of these instances resolve over several months.

Nasal numbness

+1

Rhinoplasty in general from swelling and soft tissue undermining can cause numbness. This usually gets better with time. Some doctors use  intra-oral incisions for parts of the procedure.

Numbness and Altered Smile Normal After Some Forms of Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your question.  Rhinoplasty surgery can independently affect the sensation of the tip of the nose and upper lip due to the dissection.  This take months to resolve, but it invariably does.   An intraoral approach to the muscles or bones of the nose and face can also cause numbness, swelling and alteration of the upper lip movement.  This also typically gets better within months of surgery.   I would recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon further and giving yourself time to heal.  Best wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon