Can Sex After a Tummy Tuck After 12 Weeks Make Swelling Worse?

I am 12 weeks post op and I've noticed that when my husband and I have sex, I seem to swell more; especially in my pubic mound area. The next day, my abs are super sore! Is this normal?

Tummy Tuck Swelling in Melbourne, Florida

After any type of surgery including tummy tuck surgery, it is normal for areas to have a significant amount of swelling which tends to resolve over time and certainly increased activity can increase the swelling. It is also completely expected that it may take quite a bit of time for the swelling to completely resolve. I would discuss this concern in detail with your board certified plastic surgeon. Fortunately, swelling in and of itself does tend to resolve if given enough time.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Sex and swelling after tummy tuck

Hi,

It is normal for the redraped abdominal tissue to undergo swelling with it being worse in the evening and less in the morning.  This is beause of the drainage of the redraped tissue.  More and more vessels will develop to drain the tissue and the process described decreases over about a year.

Anything including sex can increase the arterial blood in the redraped tissue but the veins need to increase in number to drain the blood brought in by the arteries.  Hence exercise and activities that increase your blood pressure can cause swelling but this is all temporary.  Your drainage system will improve and this process of swelling even with exercise/sex will stop.

Soreness/Swelling after Tummy Tuck

Swelling and soreness after sex in the early healing phases of a tummy tuck are normal. These will eventually abate but will take six or more months after surgery for these temporary issues to go completely away.

Pain and swelling after tummy tuck with sex

Your situation is expected. 

A tummy tuck is a very large operation, and even at 12 weeks, you have a long road to recover.

Swelling will wax and wane over time, and ultimately go away.  The discomfort is due to muscle spasm, and it too will fade with time.

A helpful guide would be- if it hurts, stop, if it is a bit uncomfortable, it is likely ok.  Warm up and stretch out prior to exertion.

sek

Swelling after abdominoplasty

Your situation is very normal and will probably resolve with more time, both as it relates to the swelling and the muscle soreness.  It will not cause any long term problems with your surgical result.

Swelling and pain

Swelling and muscle pain are quite common with resumption of all physical activities. If these issues persist as you get back to your full pre-op routines, confer with your surgeon, but expect some soreness to persist over the next few weeks.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Swelling after sexual activity 3 months after tummy tuck

Sexual activity is very much "exercise" and that and any vigorous abdominal exercises can still "muster up" some swelling after a tummy tuck.  The reason you are seeing the swelling in the mons (pubic mound area) is that this is the lowest area of the torso (from a gravity standpoint) and can be the area that swells the most. This will get better.  I recommend wearing some compression garments at night if it's not too uncomfortable and also continuing with a good massaging program. 

Sex after Tummy Tuck and Increased Swelling?

It is not uncommon for patients to report increased swelling that occurs after vigorous exercise,  even 3 months after tummy tuck surgery. If your swelling is temporally related to sexual activity, I think it is safe to say that it is related.  Similarly, the abdominal muscle soreness is probably related as well.

Of course, for more precise advice, your plastic surgeon is your best resource.

Sex after tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

Have sex.  By 12 weeks after abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) you are perfectly healed and unlikely to do any damage.  Swelling will probably wax and wane with activity for as long as 6 months.