Will the Fluer De Lis Tummy Tuck with Lipo on the Flanks Be the Right Choice for Me? (photo)

I've lost over 100 lbs w/ the Lap Band & have maintained for 3 years now. I am at 180-185 & need to lose another 10 before my surgery. I work w/ a trainer and no matter what I do, I can't get rid of my belly (I have had one child by c-section, as well). My surgeon feels a Fluer De Lis would help to prevent the dreaded muffin top that I might have if I just go with a traditional tummy Tuck. He will also be doing lipo of the flanks. I am NOT worried about a vertical scar. Your thoughts?

Fluer de lis abdominoplasty

+1

You can certainly get a good shape with a fluer de lis, but I am not sure you need the vertical scar.  Lipo in the flanks may be sufficient for the contour improvement.  Still, the horizontal tightening that you would get from the vertical scar WILL help to tighten the skin in the flanks and better narrow your waist.  That's the tradeoff for the scar.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy contouring

+1

A fleur de lis tummy tuck is an option but requires the midline scar. You also may want to a consider a circumferential body lift or an extended tummy tuck with lipo of the waist which does not require the midline scar.  Talk to a board certified PS to evaluate your options. 

Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Avoid the Fluer De Lis Tummy Tuck At All Costs

+1

A scar is a scar...the thought of it may not concern you now but you may be disappointed later on.  You DON'T need a Fluer de lis Tummy Tuck...it should only be reserved for the most severe cases of abdominal wall laxity in the transverse direction and that does not apply to you.  However, you would benefit from an aggressive Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty with tightening of the muscles and liposuction of the upper abdomen and flanks.  This would give you the BEST possible result with a low transverse scar and beautiful belly-button.  Good luck with your decision.

Eric Sadeh, MD

Lockwood abdominoplasty will allow aggresive liposuction

+1

I would recommend a Lockwood abdominoplasty, which allows for increased skin tension and aggressive liposuction.

This is possible because in the Lockwood liposuction there is a limited undermining of the skin, and this has several favorable consequences:

1. Better blood supply so better healing and less chance of complications
  2. Less space undermined so less chance of fluid collection
  3. Better preservation of nerve supply so better sensation
  4. You can liposuction areas that are riskier when done in traditional tummy tuck. This includes the love handles and even the side walls of the abdomen.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

+1

I would recommend to stay away from the "flour De Lis" scars. I think an extended TT might solve your issues better. 

Tummy tuck

+1

Hi and thanks for you question.

I see a lot of patients who are in the exact same situation as you find yourself following lap band and  massive weight loss. In my opinion a Fleur De Lis is virtually never necessary.

It is really a bit of a throw back to when lap bands were done as an open procedure and patients had a vertical scar already. There is essentially no benefit to adding a vertical scar and there is considerable down side. Firstly it is a scar that you can never hide. Secondly it is often a poor scar and thirdly it can compromises the blood supply of the abdominal skin.

The same or even better effect can be achieved in your case with a circumferential body lift or belt lipectomy. This is a far safer approach, which leaves you with a low scar that is easily hidden in clothing.

Well done on your weight loss, its a great achievement!!!

Best wishes

Richard Bloom

Plastic Surgeon

Board Chairman Plastic surgery

Melbourne, Australia

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Fleur de lis tummy tuck

+1

In my opinion, the fleur de lis tummy tuck is almost never necessary, and it adds a visible vertical scar above the underwear line which is often of poor quality and is unnecessarily deforming.

You will get a great result with a lipoabdominoplasty where your flanks and lower back are thinned out with lipo, and the excess skin removed with a long, low, horizontal incision able to be covered by your underwear.

Again my opinion, and opinions vary amongst surgeons. There is no right or wrong, and each surgeons carefully thinks through how they will approach a procedure. 

In close on 1000 abdominoplasties over the past 20 years, I would have used a fleur de lis no more than a handful of times, and only then on patients who had had a massive weight loss.

All the very best,

Howard Webster

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Picking the right body contouring procedure

+1

An abdominoplasy only gets rid of skin excess in the vertical direction.  If there is excess skin in the transverse direction then a Fleur de lis type abdominoplasty may be an option. The down side is the long vertical scar.  I would think a standard extended abdominoplasy with liposuction of the lateral hips and thighs would give you an nice result.  There be a little laxity in the abdominal skin above the umbilicus but other wise you would do well.  An examination would be necessary to give you a good idea of what to expect from these two decidedly different procedures.

Will the Fluer De Lis Tummy Tuck with Lipo on the Flanks Be the Right Choice for Me?

+1

Thanks for the photo. You will get the maximum benefit from a circumferential skin resection combined with muscle plication and liposuction. The vertical midline abdominal scar is not necessary to the result in my opinion. I do many TTs on massive weight loss patients and have only found the vertical scar necessary on a couple of people who lost well in excess of 200#.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Fleur de Lis vs. belt lipectomy

+1

You have a lot of excess skin on the sides as well which extends well past what a standard abdominoplasty can achieve.  I feel a circumferential belt excision of skin will give you the results you wish to have without the vertical scar.  The fleur de lis abdominoplasty will still leave you with the dreaded muffin top deformity you do not wish to have. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon