Should I Wax my Stomach Hair Prior to a (Male) Tummy Tuck?

Simply question: I am having my (male) tummy tuck in two weeks. Should I wax/shave the stomach/lower abdomen prior to the procedure?

Hello

+2
Each practice is different. Depending on the doctor and each patients likings. You should address that with your doctor.

Wax the abdomen before tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for the question. I think you should address that question with your plastic surgeon. In general, shaving the skin is best done at the time of surgery, when the patient is asleep. it is not advisable to do it the day before surgery. Best wishes.

Shaving before a Tummy Tuck

+2

To answer your question, yes. At our practice, we have our tummy tuck patients shave prior to having surgery. For men and women, it is recommended to shave the pubic area and abdominal area.

Web reference: http://www.lookyounger.net

Waxing or shaving before male tummy tuck not recommended

+1

I would not suggest waxing or shaving the stomach or lower abdomen prior to a procedure. 

When I place markings for a male abdominoplasty or male body lift, the position of the pubic hair is very important.  During the resection, a significant portion of pubic hair and the pubic region is removed and lifted.  If the hair is missing, it is difficult to exactly place the incision.  Therefore I would not suggest waxing or shaving the stomach area prior to the procedure. 

In addition shaving has been shown to increase infection rate in surgical sites so in many procedures we rarely shave the surgical site.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Web reference: http://timothykatzenmd.com/body/abdominoplasty-tummy-tuck/

I would do neither as it will be better for them to clip the hair in the operating room

+1

Thank you for the question.  Each plastic surgeon has his/her own preference for hair management.  However, it has been shown that shaving the hair a few days prior to surgery actually increases the chance for infection.  The idea behind this is that the shaving process irritates the skin a little and increases the bacterial load on the skin in the days following shaving.

Dr Remus Repta