BMI / Weight Limit for Tummy Tuck?

I am a 30yo male. 180cm or 5'11" current weight is 124kg. I have always been over weight since I was about 10yo. Early last year I have some abdominal Liposuction to reshape. I am 50% happy with the results as I have a flatter lower abdomen. However...... Above my belly button the skin hangs over and I also have a large over hang which almost reaches my groin. I have seen a plastic surgeon and he can do a TT but I need to be at under 30 BMI or 90kg. I need help as I have know idea.

BMI / Weight Limit for Tummy Tuck?

+1

A BMI of 30 or less correlates with a better aesthetic outcome, and lower risk of complications, and for that reason it is a reasonable goal.

However there are patients for whom that is unrealistic. After a review of the pros and cons, might accept the extra risks of wound healing problems, blood clots, and so forth, and understand that their post-op appearance will be improved but will not be comparable to the results in a thinner patient, these patients might be acceptable candidates to some surgeons. I would suggest a few phone calls to other offices in your area.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

BMI required for TT

+1

I agree with the other surgeon who answered you.  BMI is only one measure to take into consideration during assessment for TT.  Other health issues, your individual shape and musculature, your fitness and age and your skin elasticity plus an assessment of what actually needs to be done to give you a good result are as important in the assessment.

Having said that, at 124kg and 5'11' you're still obese - and as such unlikely to achieve a great result with surgery alone.

For all sorts of health reasons, plus you're own comfort with your appearance you should be less than 100kg, at the minimum.

For weight loss, you simply need help or coaching, plus a commitment to it which is real.  Once you've lost the weight, you can achieve a much higher quality surgical result.

Possibilities for you are:  weightwatchers (v good), a local dietitian (source through your GP), or even to consider lap band surgery (I recommend Professor Paul O'Brien who is a world expert - I have no personal or professional connection with them). 

Do it right is my advice.  There's no short cut to health and weight loss.  TT surgery at the right time and weight will provide a great result.  And very good luck to you.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

No Absolute BMI For Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no universally accepted absolute BMI at which a tummy tuck can be done.  There are other variables such as age, state of health, etc..  Having said that, a better result is usually attainable in patients with a BMI of <30.

John Whitt, MD