What is the best way to get rid of melasma patches on my face? I have a large brown spot on my forehead and chin that was diagnosed as melasma. I have been using triluma cream and it has lightened but it darkens the second I step outdoors. Is there anything else that I can do to get rid of this?
Best Treatment for Melasma on the Face?
Doctor Answers (1)
Optimal treatment for Melasma requires care by of a board-certified dermatologist
- See a board-certified dermatologist for higher strength hydroquinone and/or topical retinoid to be applied at night. Consider antioxidant vitamin C serum in the morning.
- Spectra Laser (Q-switched Nd:Yag laser) by Lutronic is the new standard of care for melasma
- Daily high SPF sunscreen application, reapply every 2 hours between 10am and 4pm when you are outdoors. Consider sun protective clothing, broad-brim hats. Plan your outdoor activities before 10am or after 4pm.
- Discontinue all estrogen-containing contraceptive
- Gentle cleansing. Excessive irritation from vigorous washing can lead to postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Consider combination of microdermbrasion, IPL (for fair-skin individuals only) and/or Nd:Yag laser supervised by a board-certified dermatologist.
Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Laser_Surgery.html
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.