Will Melasma Improve if Hormone Replacement is Stopped?

I became a victim of Melasma 9 years ago after I had a complete Hysterectomy and had to be put on hormone replacement.

Is it possible for the condition to improve if I stop taking the hormone replacement? At this point I would rather deal with the hot flashes and night sweats than to have this ugly brown patch on my right cheek that cannot be completely concealed with even the best of cosmetics.

Frustrated in Kentucky-
Jeannie

Treatment of melasma with hormone replacement

+1

It is far more difficult to treat melasma during hormone replacement or birth control pill usage.  I advise my patients to begin with the Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM skin system if they believe they are developing skin melasma while on these medicines. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.