Melasma Come Back with Sun Exposure?

My melasma is fading since i stopped taking birth control, will it come back if i go into the sun?

Melarase for skin lightening in patients with melasma

+1

A precipitor of melasma is sun exposure. I would avoid direct sunlight and begin topical treatment with Melarase or a similar skin lightener. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Effective long term treatment of melasma requires an effective short-term treatment and a long-term maintenance program of skin

+1

In my hands, the best treatment for melasma involves an aggressive short term treatment to get rid of the pigment and then a long-term skin maintenance program to keep the pigment away.  Short I recommend two or more treatments with the Fraxel Restore 1550nm laser spaced about two weeks apart.  In between Fraxel Restore Laser treatments, I recommend using the Cosmion Iontophoretic Rejuvenating Mask three times a week for one hour each treatment.  This mask infuses 20% ascorbyl glucoside (Vitamin C) into the skin using a proven medical process called iontophoresis.  A 0.5mm needle wheel is used before each mask treatment to enhance infusion of the Vitamin C.   For daily maintenance skin care, I recommend M2 mandelic/malic acid products (SkinCareRx.com) in 12% for sensitive skin and 20% for less sensitive skin.  These products contain long-chain alphahydroxy acids that inhibit the production of pigment in the skin.  In addition I recommend a shoulder-to-shoulder hat and an effective UVA/UVB sun block such as Laroche Possay Anthelios 60 to completely protect the face from sun exposure.  I have treated over 100 patients over the past three years with this protocol and find it to work better both short and long-term than anything else I have used.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

YES-- for certain!

+1

Melasma is often an inherited condition and few people ever get permanent resolution. Treaments give benefit, but estrogen and sun exposure will quickly cause a relapse. No sun, retinoids and antioxidants are the best prevention and Triluma with Jessner peels or Fraxel 1927nm best treatments, in my opinion.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist