Could It Not Be Melanoma? In Summary, Variates in Color, Asymmetrical, on my Buttocks, and Started Small then Grew. (photo)

I have this mole on my buttocks, it started as a very small dark brown/black freckle. The mole is 3mm x 2.5mm. I've had it 'checked' three times by the same dermatologist. This dermatologist said that it looked atypical but wasn't worrisome. She said 'we look for things like grey borders, bleeding, blue coloring.'. When it was first growing it was slightly itchy (not anymore) but the dermatologist I saw said that was normal irritation from a non-harmful mole growing.

Changing mole on buttocks

+2

Any time a mole is changing with asymmetry and variation in color, it is a cause for concern. The picture of your mole looks concerning to me as well. To be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by another dermatologist and the mole should be biopsied, at least for reassurance. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. It is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole

+1

Moles that are of different color, growing fast, irregular edges should be biopsied to get the correct diagnosis