Meds PO TT? How Much With No Insurance?

Doing my budget for my future TT. I understand that it is difficult to give an exact answer, but can you tell me what pain medications, post op for a tummy tuck ought to run a person with no insurance? Gracias!

Medications for Tummy Tuck

+1

Typically with generic medications you can keep the cost under $100. Call around to different pharmacies and ask for cash prices for the medications that they give you a script for. I give my patients an antibiotic (Keflex-generic available), pain medication (Vicodin-generic available), and muscle relaxer (Flexeril-generic available). Also, take into consideration that you will need lab work and a medical clearance done prior to surgery which is a cost that you will have to incur since you do not have insurance. Generally your plastic surgeon should be able to get you cash quotes on this as well and they might have doctors that they work directly with for a preferential rates.

I hope this helps you and good luck

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Cost of medications after tummy tuck

+1

The key to minimizing the costs of medications after tummy tuck is to let your surgeon know you are cost conscious and do not have insurance.  If this is the case, he/she may decrease the number of meds prescribed to try and help your budget.  $100 is a more than reasonable budget.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Medications after tummy tuck cost

+1

Thanks for a great question.  If your doctor prescribed you generic medications like Cephelexin (antibiotic), Hydrocodone (pain), and Pheregan (nausea) your prescriptions should be well under $100 and I have had a patient told me it was as little as under $20 at Walmart. Good luck with your surgery.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Cost of Post-Op Meds

+1

I provide the medications directly from my office, for about what they cost me. I do this for the convenience of my patients, so that they don't need to worry about the cost, nor do they need to take time to go to the pharmacy. I charge $30 for pain medication, an antibiotic, and a sleeping pill. Even patients with good health insurance obtain their medications from me. I'm sure there are other surgeons who also do this, so you might want to ask yours. 

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Medication following an abdominoplasty

+1

For most patients a narcotic pain medication as well as an antibiotic would be typically prescribed.  In addition to these medications I typically place patients on a blood thinning agent for 10 days post op.  The medication usually prescribed is Lovenox.  This will typically place the total cost for medication in the $200 range.  

Keep costs down with generic medications

+1

Thank you for your question. Most of the medications taken for a tummy tuck are available in generic form. This includes antibiotics, pain pills and muscle relaxants.  By using generic drugs, you should be able to keep your medication cost down to $60-80. One thing that your surgeon can do at the time of surgery to dramatically reduce your pain and decrease the amount of medication that you take is to inject both short and long acting local anesthetic into the skin and muscle at the time of surgery.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Costs of Medications after Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Depending on exactly what medications are used, pain medication and muscle relaxants should end up costing under $100.

Medications Post Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Melving,

Since many of the medications commonly used with tummy tuck procedures are now offered in generic forms, the costs should be under $100.  One thing you can do is to shop around before choosing the pharmacy to fill your prescriptions.  One great medication to also have after a tummy tuck is Valium or its generic version, Diazepam, which can relieve the tightness or spasms of the abdominal muscles in the early days after surgery.

Hope this helps.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Meds PO TT? How Much With No Insurance?

+1

So long as it's all generic, and nothing fancy due to any allergies, it shouldn't exceed $100. All the best.