Medpor Vs Silastic Comparison?

Advantage Medpor: * Tissue ingrowth decreases movement, which prevents erosion of the underlying bone * Tissue ingrowth permits access of the implant to the immune system, reducing the long-term risk of implant infection * Lower risk of implant rejection. * Can be carved better, to solve asymmetries. Disadvantage Medpor: * Harder to remove * Risk of infection first few weeks higher (why ?) * More difficult to place. Do I miss something ? My doc prefers Medpor, so I was jut wondering. Thx

Which is better Medpor or Silastic facial implant?

+2

Which is better Medpor or Silastic facial implant? As usual, if you ask three plastic surgeons for their opinion you will receive at least four different answers.

In my opinion, Medpor implants are problematic mainly due to the risk of extrusion. This is a big problem when Medpor is placed in the nose. The thin, delicate nasal tissue and constant movement of the nose tends to force these implants out and cause their exposure at which point they need to be removed. In brief, I will not use Medpor in the nose. I prefer cartilage from the nasal septum, ear or rib for that purpose. It's your tissue and becomes well integrated with low risk of exposure.

I will occasionally use Medpor implants in the temple. However, this is a location with very thick, robust tissue and minimal movement. I have not had trouble with Medpor in this location. I use silastic for the cheek and chin area. These are well tolerated, have a low risk of complications and many choices of size and shape available.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artificial implants

+2

I think any artificial implant has a 3% or so infection rate, at any time.  Silastic implants do tend to be movable, and they get a fibrous capsule around them.  Gortex is another implant material often used as dorsal only grafting.

The real question is whets you can use cartilage from yourself as the implant material, and avoid the use of artificial implants altogether.

Douglas J. Kibblewhite, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medpor Vs Silastic Comparison

+1

I think you have covered it all but the common theme among most surgeons is to use your own tissue over any kind of implant when possible.  In my opinion, rib cartilage is always preferable to a synthetic implant

Sam Naficy, MD

Medpor Vs Silastic Facial Implants

+1

While many patients get focused on the composition differences between Medpor and silastic for facial implants, the focus on that issue is one of the least important in facial implant surgery. The far more important questions are: 1) What is the correct implant style and size for the patient's aesthetic problem, and 2) How easy is it to place, secure and subsequently remove if need be. If you fail to achieve these first two goals in using facial implants, it really doesn't matter what the material composition is.  That being said, neither implant material type and their size selections is right for every patient and every aesthetic need. Some of your listed advantages and disadvantages of  Medpor facial implants are inaccurate. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Medpor Vs Silastic Comparison?

+1

I couldn't disagree more.  I have used silastic Cheek Implants and Chin Implants for over 22 years and I won't use Medpore.  Medpore Implants can't be removed after 1 month for any reason which makes them a no go IMHO.  They also tend to be quite large and don't meet my ideas of facial aesthetics.  Be sure the Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.  Placing Implants to shape the face requires a level of aesthetic judgment that's a quantum level higher IMHO.