Can Medpor Infected One Year and a Half After Surgery?

I have two paranasal implants and it hurts the one hand, and swells a bit too often, only those two symptoms, pain and swelling. The pain is passed in a few days, but reappears. thanks

Implant problems in rhinoplasty

It's possible that your have a chronic low grade infection. Nasal implants can get infected at anytime and generally are not preferred to use because of that reason. At my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I always use native cartilage to avoid such issues. Check with your PS to see what they think.

Medpor can have delayed infections

Artificial implants of all kinds have a lifelong risk of infection. Usually the low grade, chronic infections that you describe are more common with goretex, but can be seen with any implant. I would suggest seeing someone experienced in rhinoplasty to evaluate your nose and suggest remedies.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medpor implants and rhinoplasty

Unfortunately, the short answer to your question is that medpor implants can get infected although it is rare even after several years. Although this may not be your case, I would have it evaluated by your rhinoplasty surgeon to be safe.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Paranasal implants

It is quite possible that your impalnts are infected. It is worthwhile to see your doctor to be properly evaluated.