Can Medpor Infected One Year and a Half After Surgery?

I have two paranasal implants and it hurts the one hand, and swells a bit too often, only those two symptoms, pain and swelling. The pain is passed in a few days, but reappears. thanks

Implant problems in rhinoplasty

+3
It's possible that your have a chronic low grade infection. Nasal implants can get infected at anytime and generally are not preferred to use because of that reason. At my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I always use native cartilage to avoid such issues. Check with your PS to see what they think.

Medpor can have delayed infections

+1

Artificial implants of all kinds have a lifelong risk of infection. Usually the low grade, chronic infections that you describe are more common with goretex, but can be seen with any implant. I would suggest seeing someone experienced in rhinoplasty to evaluate your nose and suggest remedies.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medpor implants and rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, the short answer to your question is that medpor implants can get infected although it is rare even after several years. Although this may not be your case, I would have it evaluated by your rhinoplasty surgeon to be safe.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Paranasal implants

+1

It is quite possible that your impalnts are infected. It is worthwhile to see your doctor to be properly evaluated.