Medpor Used in Rhino Revision Without Our Knowledge, Could Too Much Scar Tissue Form?

My healthy, part-Asian, thick-skin, no-smoke, healthy daughter (mid-20's) had revision rhino 1 month ago. Only after surgery we learned that trimmed tip-top graft sutured to soft tissue in tip (along with ear cartilage--we knew about ear cartilage only). She looks good to me, trust skill of doctor and like his aesthetics. My daughter thinks her tip too bulbous and pug (she's still swollen). Could we get a no-extrusion infection or too much scar tissue form in tip yrs out? What to do now?

+1

Dear Mom Here,

Thank you for your question.  Good news and bad news. Since medpore allows tissue ingrowth, it is unlikely to get infected.  Bad news is that since medpore allows tissue ingrowth, if it need to be removed, it can be difficult and tissue can be damaged while removing it.  The effects of medpore in the nose or cheek, is that if the skin becomes very thin with advanced age, it may become visible.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Medpor implant in nose

+1

At one month she is still probably very swollen.  Give it time to heal.  As for the medpor itself, it can be very difficult to remove.

Medpor Implants

+1

Hi,

If medpor was used to build up the dorsum, I dont think it will effect the tip. However, if there is medpor in the tip, that may be a problem in the future. Medpor causes tissue ingrowth and can be very difficult to remove if it gets infected.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS