Can a Medpor Implant Be Revised During Surgery

I have cheek implants and I know only after 2 weeks they are clearly too big for my face, they sit on the bone and i can see the outline, they are very harsh across the cheek and that is only going to get worse as the remaining 10% of swelling subisdes. I either need them revised/sculpted down during revision surgery, or if that is not possible, I would have them removed. The former choice is my preference? Is that a possibility using my current implants?

Removal of Cheek Implants

+1

An experienced surgeon can take out the implants reduce their size and replace them. The better alternative may be to simply order a smaller size and then remove the ones you have and replace them with the smaller ones.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision of Medpor Cheek Implant

+1

Because of normal, temporary post-op swelling, it is difficult for you determine the the ultimate size, contour, and projection of your cheeks 2 weeks after augmentation. Having said that, Medpor is difficult to remove after the implant becomes integrated with the surrounding tissue - it would be easier to remove at this time. Discuss your alternatives with your surgeon.

+1

I have performed many Cheek Augmentations using Cheek Implants but use silastic, not Medpore cheek implants.  Medpore within 1 month become integrated into the underlying bone.  They are extremely difficult to modify and once integrated are unlikely to be removed short of grinding them down.  You might want to ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your cheek implant surgery.

Implant revision surgery

+1

After two weeks, it is certainly much too early to make any decisions about any revision surgery.  I would recommend that you allow the healing to take place and then assess how things look.  Certainly you should also make sure that your surgeon is aware of your concerns.

If you do reach a point where you and your surgeon decide a revision is in order, he/she will be able to best advise you on whether the implants might be best removed or potentially sculpted.  Medpore implants allow tissue ingrowth, which has some advantages, but can make removal/sculpting more difficult.  Regardless, discuss the situation with your surgeon and wait at least a month or two before making any decision.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin medpor implant revision

+1

I would certainly wait several months for the swelling to resolve. That being said if you are really unhappy, it is much easier to remove the implants sooner than later. Medpor is a very, very difficult material to remove once it is incorporated into the surrounding tissues. In my experience any attempts at modifying the implant once it has been placed typically leads to infection requiring removal of the implants. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon before proceeding.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slow down!

+1

two weeks is way too soon to judge the results of your surgery!  Be patient and share your concerns with your surgeon.

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon