Removing Medpor Chin Implant Before Causes Tooth or Nerve Loss?

I have a medpor chin implant. It has moved out of place but I have no pain and it still looks good. My dentist sent me to an oral surgeon and based on my panorex xrays he said the implant is causing bone resorption and it needs to come out as it may cause tooth and nerve loss. He doesn't want to replace it with another implant.

What should I do? Do I need to have it removed? Can I upload my films so you can view them?

Chin implant and bone resorption

+1

We do not recommend Medpor chin implants for augmentation because they are very hard and dense and can get infected. We recommend silastic augmentation material for the chin.

All implants can give bone resorption to some degree. It is important to note that the chin implant does not rest over the tooth roots since it can cause bone resorption of that area and lead to nerve and tooth root issues.

The normal anatomical chin implants made of silastic plastic do not ride anywhere close to the tooth roots when placed in the proper position. Consideration for removing the old Medpor implant and placing a silastic implant is probably a good idea.

Removing Medpore chin implant with bone resorbsion

+1

It is not uncommon to see some bone resorbtion with chin implants, regardless of the type of implant. I have tooth loss or nerve damage from this resorbtion although it is theoretically possible. I prefer to substitute medpore withn silastic because silastic is softer and more malleable. I also use microscrew fixation to prevent movement. Fat grafting is a good alternative for you.

Burr Von Maur, MD

Chin implant removal then perhaps fat transfer

+1

It sounds that you have bone resorption and and youe dental surgeon is worried about eroding to the roots of the teeth. Have a Plastic surgeon evaluation and plan on removing the implant.

After that is stabilized then will consider fat transfer to improve your chin.

Medpor chin implant and bone erosion

+1

First, be calm, you have time.

I recommend that you have the implant evaluated by the implanting surgeon. If that is not possible, check with a ps who has experience with these implants. I use them exclusively for chin implants, and they are tricky to handle.

Since the implant has dislodged, it should be corrected. It is a good idea for the implant to be fixed into the chin with micro-screws that are used to stabilize broken bones. If repositioned you may be able to use the same implant. Alternatively, you may require a different implant. Unfortunately, you may no longer be a candidate to have an implant, so work with the ps and oral surgeon.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Fat graft as alternative

+1

Why not have it removed and replaced with fat graft. I have written several blogs about fat grafting. It is relatively straight forward to perform.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS