Can a MEDPOR Chin Implant Be Removed?

I had a MEDPOR chin implant 2 years ago, the sort of implant that bonds to the tissues, but the implant moved up one side, down the other side. I feel it so much on the upper side near my teeth, it's extremely uncomfortable, and it looks horrible. Can it be removed without butchering my chin? Will I have to pay additional fees for the correction/removal of the chin implant?

Chin implant removal

+4

Removing chin implants, especialy Medpor ones can be a bit more difficult than removing the smooth silicone ones. In fact, some of these are secured with screws to the bone. It can possibly cause the soft tissue to heal down to the bone in an unusual pattern and may make your chin muscles contract differently when you animate, but this is hard to tell without seeing you. In terms of the fee, that is something you should discuss with your doctor.

Chin implants can be removed

+4

Julie, Chin implants can be removed. If it is smooth, it is easier to remove. If it is porous, the tissue ingrowth makes it more difficult to remove. If there was some technical error on the surgeon's part, it would not be unreasonable to expect to only pay for the hospital fees for the removal.

However, if you suffered some event (trauma for example) after the surgery which caused the implant to shift, then this should not be the surgeon's responsibility.

David Shafer, MD

Medpor Removal

+1

Hi,

Because medpor is highly porous, tissue grows into the implant making it very difficult to remove. Most of the time, normal tissue is removed with implant. This is one of the reasons I prefer silicone implants. See video.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Removing a Medpor Chin Implant

+1

Yes, Medpor implants can be removed and you are right that at times because of tissue ingrowth it is a bit more involved usually than removing a silicone implant.

At two years following surgery there most likely will be a charge for this surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

How difficult is it to modify or remove a Medpor implant?

+1

Although it is time consuming, it is possible to either remove or modify a Medpor implant.  Medpor implants are characterized by tissue in growth which solidly fixes the implant to the bone.  Because of this, removal requires the entire implant to be carefully dissected.  With solid silicone, in contrast, removal generally only requires the capsule to be opened and the implant will pop right out.  Generally after removal, the chin is quite swollen and firm for a while.  In addition, the sensation nerve is at risk of injury and you may end up with a numb chin.

It sounds as though your problem is a technical one with the original surgery.  Most plastic surgeons will not charge a surgical fee for correcting this type of issue but you need to have a frank discussion with your doctor.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of chin implant

+1

I have removed Medpor chin implants, but it is much more difficult as the porous surface allows ingrowth of tissue which must be dissected away.  If you are reasonably happy with your current implant, there is an argument to leave well enough alone.   After an examination, your surgeon can make a more accurate recommendation.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Chin implant

+1

medpore is a porous synthetic material which can be removed, replaced, or an additional type of genioplasty performed

Christopher K. Livingston, MD

Removing medpor implant

+1

Removing/replacing a medpor implant is not easy and may require more time than you would think.  I prefer using silicone implants.

Sam Naficy, MD

Implant can be removed.

+1

The implant can be removed, although it is rather difficult because the scar that grows into the Medpor is difficult to remove. Depending upon how difficult the surgery goes and if the tissue permits, a traditional Silastic chin implant could potentially be placed at the same time in the normal anatomical plane.

It can be removed, and should be removed

+1

You need to discuss this with your surgeon. I do not charge for this kind of situations but your doctor may feel different. You need to remove the implant since it's causing erosion of the gum line.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon