Do Medium Depth Peels Need to Be Done More Than Once?

I am 48 years old, blonde and blue eyed. I had a medium peel with phenol under my eyes done 2 months ago. After looking like a monster for 7 days, I recovered beautifully and loved the results. But eveyday, I notice more wrinkles and freckles coming back. I paid $ 2500.00 to a very reputable plastic surgeon. I'm very worried I wasted my money. What do I do now? Should I have the peel again?

Facial peels

+1

I perform a wide spectrum of peels in my practice, but I have learned to make sure the patients understand what level of achievement may be achieved from one peel. You should be prepped for weeks with an active skin care regimen for the best result. After the early healing, you should be placed back no an active program and avoid direct sun. Deep lines are rarely corrected by peels, other than possibly deep phenol. Occasionally a series of lighter peels maybe indicated depending on skin type and goals. I frequently use Botox and filler in various areas of the face as well for maximal improvement.

The results of a medium depth peel should last for years.

+1

Dear Stopfrinkles

The lower eyelid chemical peel that you had is a great lower eyelid treatment. However, you are not done healing and will not be for another 6 months. Once you are healed the new collagen that has formed should hold for many years. Of course the swelling that you have had is resolving so you are seeing the return of some fine lines. Try not to drive yourself totally insane. Sun precautions are a good idea. So sell your convertible and drop your membership for the tanning beds. And remember to enjoy your improved looks.

Medium Depth Peel

+1

After chemical peels of any kind, I instruct my patients about sun protection/sun avoidance. If you are not using a daily moisturizer with a broad spectrum sunscreen, I would start now. A care plan for maintenance which includes tretinoin (retin-a), glycolic and/or antioxidants would be appropriate. I would consider some of these options before undergoing another peel. You may wish to consult a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area for an appropriate treatment plan.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist