Will Medicare Pay to Have Surgical Scars Removed?

I had gallbladder surgery several years ago. It left me with an oddly shaped bulge below my breast line and around my front waist. It's really ugly and prevents me from wearing many of my clothes or tucking a shirt in my jeans or pants. I'd like to have this removed or improved. Any ideas?

Medicare does not pay for scar revision

+1
Medicare does not reimburse for scar revision unless there is a functional medical limitation. You can certainly have the scar revised but it would be considered cosmetic surgery.

Scar revision insurance coverage

+1

It has been my experience that scar revision, unless functional, is not covered by insurance. This is difficult to get scar improved and covered through insurance. But it dosen't hurt to try. Excision may be your best with a geometric line closure. The method of closure is important so be prudent in your decision on who to go to and get multiple opinions. Below is a video for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Dysaesthetic Cholecystectomy Scar

+1

It sounds like you have a cholecystectomy scar that could benefit from a scar revision which surely can be performed. However, whether this would be covered by medicare or a medicare plan is another story. You can see a plastic surgeon who would assess your situation and then can provide you with specific information as regards coverage.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.