Is It Medically Advisable to Have 27yr Old Silicone Calcified Capsules/implants Removed and Reimplant Months Later?

I have 2 DR opinions and they are exactly the opposite 1) wait months for healing after surgery and then reimplant 2) do removal and reimplant in one surgery

Implant Removal and Replacement Best Done in One Procedure

+1

I would venture that the vast majority of all board certified plastic surgeons would recommend Implant Removal and Replacement in One Procedure unless of course there are other potentially complicating factors such as infection.

Implant exchange

+1

I usually perform implant exchanges at the same time as explantationof the old implants. I am not sure why it was suggested otherwise.

One or two stage explant/replant?

+1

I have always done this as a one stage procedure.

A two stage might be advised if you were a heavy smoker going to smaller implants and needed a mastopexy as well.

Otherwise most patients prefer one surgery and one recover.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

I do not see the benifit of explanting the breast implant with complete capsulectomy then waiting one month to re augment the breast with another implant. All this can be done in one sitting. May be you should have another opinion by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (American Board Of Plastic Surgery), and discuss all the options available and the pros and cons of each procedure.

Third Opinion: Just take the implants out and use fat to get the same volume:

+1

We developed SIEF-  Simultaneous Implant Exchange With Fat-  To solve your problem:  See the attached video. 

Best Regards,

Dand Del Vecchio

Daniel Del Vecchio, MD

One stage usual...

+1

I believe the most common approach is to remove the scar tissue and old implants and replace the implants at one setting. This is possible even if you are changing the pocket. However, there may be a good reason for waiting and this can best be determined by the surgeon you choose.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Removal and Reaugmentation of Breast Implant Options?

+1

As you have noted, if you ask 2 plastic surgeons for their opinions, you may receive at least 3 opinions. Different plastic surgeons will give you different opinions based on their training, experience, and personal preferences. This range of opinions you will receive will potentially be confusing.

Generally speaking, most plastic surgeons would recommend a one stage procedure for  patients in your situation. However, there may be a good reason  for staging the procedures. I would suggest that you ask your consultant plastic surgeons for the pros/cons of each approach, given that they have had the benefit of examining you and discussing your goals.

Capsule removal and re-augmentation

+1

Normally, one removes the capsules and re-augments a patient in one setting.  This would include going from above the muscle to below, staying above the muscle and staying below the muscle.  Ask the doctor who wants to stage it why they think this is best for you.  Maybe there is a good reason, but it is much less common practice.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS