Is It Ok for a Medical Technician to Inject Botox or Juvederm?

There is no MD at the "medical spa" I have used. The technician I go to has 10+ years in the industry and most with Botox or Juvederm. What kind of risk is associated with technician vs MD?

Medical tech and botoxs and fillers

+2

It is not recommended for a medical tech to administer Botox or fillers.  This is best performed by a well-trained board certified doctor who can treat your complications as well.

Botox is a medical procedure and should be treated with respect

+2

In a number of states, Botox can be injected by non-physicians. These may include RN's etc. Some are very experienced and some are not. This is a medical procedure with a very safe but strong medication. Do you want to take chances with your face to save a few dollars? I would inquire on the experience of the injector and supervision, if this is in doubt I suggest you seek a qualified physician with experience in Botox treatments. The core specialties include Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, Oculoplastic Surgery and Dermatologic Surgery.

Web reference: http://www.mdface.com/MDFaceV_List.asp?RecID=44301&Page=1&Type=&Data=&sort=Num&cat=

Fillers by a Technician

+1

First of all, you are asking a very biased group of people here, physicians...! However, I think you'll likely hear the same answers across the board. While experience is highly important, and certainly ten years is a lot of experience to have under your belt, there is no substitute for knowledge of product on a molecular level, as well as anatomical knowledge about the nerves, vasculature, and muscles of the face. If someone has not been trained in this, they may unknowingly cause permanent nerve damage, drooping facial features, or large bruises. Technicians are a wonderful addition to any practice, but it is my opinion that there is no substitute for a Dr., especially when dealing with something as important as a face.

Botox and fillers should be injected by board certified specialists

+1

Botox and fillers should be injected by board certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons who have years of experience with these products, buy it legally from reputable companies and know exactly what products they are receiving, and can deal with any side effects should the need arise.

Toronto Dermatologist

Medical Technician to Inject Botox or Juvederm

+1

The medical tech may be experienced in the industry but it would unwise on your part to risk your health and looks to someone who is not properly trained or credentialled. Also, in many states including Florida, it would be illegal for a medical tecnician to perform the treatment.

Botox and Juvederm should not be injected by a Medical Technician

+1

I would not recommend to have Botox or a Filler injected by a Medical Technician. It is not worth the risk if anything would happen due to lack of experience or training.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Your best and safest cosmetic result will be with a physician

+1

Botox and fillers are true medical procedures and should be performed by an experienced physician with detailed knowledge of facial anatomy and after a careful review of your goals and health. This will give you the best likelihood of a safe and satisfactory result. Additionally, plastic surgeons will be able to advise you of all options, surgical and nonsurgical to help you look your best, and to get the best value for your money.

All states have their own regulations with regard to who can inject Botox and fillers. The Georgia Composite Board of Medical Examiners appears to provide approval for trained nurses to perform injections under the supervision of a physician. My guess is that it is probably not legal for an unsupervised technician to perform injections.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Legal Botox injectors

+1

I would completely agree with all of the other physicians. Rules about who can legally inject Botox vary by state. There is a good reason why physicians go through years of specialty training. Dermatologists, facial plastic surgeons, plastic surgeons, and oculoplastic surgeons receive training in facial anatomy, facial function, and in dealing with complications that may occur after Botox injection. While Botox injections are generally very safe, there are real complications which can occur, including life threatening reactions which can occur with any medication. Physicians which I listed above would be able to deal with these complications, it is unlikely that a technician would be trained to deal with complications.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox to be treated by a physician or medical technician

+1

Every state has different rules as to who legally can perform injections. Aside from this authority once given by the state, the individual, whether physician or nurse or physician's assistant (P.A.), should have a thorough understanding of the anatomy of the areas they are treating. Botox is very safe but side effects can happen and they can last for up to a few months. Asymmetry (unequal results from side to side), drooping of the upper eyelid, or even lip, can occur with incorrect placement, volume or dose. These can be very troubling, even though temporary, to the patient. In general, physicians have the best understanding of the anatomy and may be better suited to perform those slightly different injection techniques or use different areas for insertion depending on each individual's nuances.

Botox and filler injectors

+1

Different states regulate who can inject fillers like Juvederm and Restylane as well as neuromodulators like Botox. Fortunately, these products are extremely safe so even inexperienced injectors or non-physicians can inject them safely the vast majority of the time. There are some non-physicians who are even better than physicians. The bottom line is who is supervising these services should a problem arise and the reputation of the professional injecting you. Generally, usually a nurse or physician injects these products so I am not sure what the regulations are in your state.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.