What Medical History Should I Share with my Doctor Before Lasik Surgery?

What qualities that would make me a good candidate for Lasik Eye Surgery? Is there any specific medical history that my doctor needs to know before performing Lasik Eye Surgery?

Your surgeon should review all medical history before LASIK Surgery

+1

Healthy stable eyes and realistic expectations are the qualities to look for in a good candidate for LASIK Surgery.  Your surgeon should review all medical history.

New York Ophthalmologist

Medical conditions and LASIK

+1

yes it is important to give your surgeon a full history concerning your medical problems.  Conditions such as diabetes, autoimmune rheumatoid arthritis, other autoimmune diseases, certain skin conditions and others may have an effect on your candidacy and your surgical outcomes.  Patients should be wise to visit with a surgeon who evaluates all of these issues, as determining risk prior to surgery is of major importance.  We typically rule out 15-20% of all patients for some reason, and making sure you are honest and clear with your doctor is important.   Most of the non candidates have issues relating to their corneal health and anatomy (warpage, thickness, weakness or surface disease), things that can usually only be evaluated by very specific scans performed at surgeon's offices.  

Andrew E. Holzman, MD
Mc Lean Ophthalmologist