Can Someone with a Medical Aesthetics License Inject Botox in Texas?

I've had Botox 3 times in the last few years. The first time it was great. The second time, I swear it was watered down. The third time, it was great the first week, but then it started loosening up. I read one review of the last place I went to who complained the esthetician injected her botox, which she said was illegal.(which was the lady who did mine) It says on the web site she has a Medical Aesthetics license. Is this legal??

Can a medical aesthetician inject Botulinum toxin (Dysport and Botox)

+1

I am not familar with the state regulations inTexas but it should be easy to contact the Department of Professional Regulation to determine if aestheticians are qualified or credentialed to provide this service. Certainly you must be a medical doctor to order the product.

Laws Vary from State to State

+1

I would recommend having a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to administer your Botox.  Some states allow PA's or NP's to administer Botox.  I would not allow anyone else to inject any Botox for you.

Thomas W. Bender, III MD
Mobile Dermatologic Surgeon

Can an Esthetician Inject Botox?

+1

We are not sure of the laws in Texas, but in California, estheticians cannot inject Botox.  There are two very important issues outside of the law that we would deem important in choosing an injection practitioner.

1.  Choose an injector with good knowledge of facial anatomy.  Whether derm or plastic, RN, PA or MD, choose someone that expresses an understanding of (and can educate you about) facial anatomy.This is a critical step to performing injection procedures well.

2.  Choose someone that values their license.  The reason most states require a medical license to inject Botox is that if the practitioner loses the license due to malpractice, they lose a very valuable asset.  Although estheticians are licensed, it typically takes much less time and effort to acquire this license than a medical license.  Because of this fact, it is less valuable to the esthetician.  Generally the more valuable a practitioner's license the more precaution they take to protect it.  We think it is important to consider this fact when choosing an injection practitioner.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Texas delegation laws are sketchy to say the least

+1

If the medical esthetician is practicing alone or without a supervising physician, then it is very illegal for he/she to be injecting Botox in Texas.  If the esthetician has a supervising physician that is on site at the same time as her, then it becomes a much more gray area; as physicians can delegate tasks to trained and supervised individuals if they are present.  In your situation, I would highly doubt that the MD was on site; therefore, it was most likely illegal.

The moral of the story is as others said; only let a board certified dermatologist / plastic surgeon / facial plastic / oculoplastic do your Botox.

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Aestheticians and Botox injections

+1

In New York state I know that an aesthetician can not inject botox. I believe that only a physician a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant can inject botox.

Medical esthetician and Botox injections

+1

In Pennsylvania the medical estheticians have the same license as an esthetician in a beauty salon.  The "medical" part comes from experience.  However, in no way are they permitted to perform a medical treatment, and Botox injections are certainly a medical treatment.  I highly doubt that Texas is more lax in its regulations.  I would conclude that this practice in illegal.  You would be doing your community a service by reporting this establishment to the authorities.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Botox injections best done by medical board-certified licensed providers

+1

There is much to know about Botox injections especially the anatomy and the variability of these muscles from person to person. Every patient is different and must be evaluated based on their situation and not a "cookbook" approach.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Only if under physician supervision

+1

Injecting Botox is a medical procedure. Laws vary from state to state, and I always think you will get the best results from an experienced and board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, but It might be legal if the person was trained, supervised and under the direction of a physician. Legal, however, is not always prudent!

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist