How Should a Medial Thigh Lift Be Done on an Extreme Weight Loss Patient?

How should a Medial thigh lift (inner Thigh) lateral thigh lift anterior thigh lift be done for a person that has lost over 100 pounds. There is a tremendous amount of loose skin especially in the medial thigh area. How evaisive is it,How long does the surgery take. What is the down time, and how should the proceedure be done. Where would the incisions be, ie: down the inner thigh

Medial thigh lift considerations

+1

Medial thigh lift considerations

Different Plastic Surgeons with great experience and results often argue the answer to your question. The most important choice is finding the best surgeon (see below link).                        My choice as to whether a vertical scar is needed is on the basis of my exam and where the most excess skin is located. For example if a roll  of skin high up  on the inside of the thigh then a groin scar incision is  preferred, where as if there is circumferential excess from the knee to the groin then a vertical incision is best in my hands

Thighplasty after massive weight loss

+1

Many patients after massive weight loss -  especially those who carried a lot of weight in their thighs -  have a lot of loose skin primarily on the front of their thighs.  A thigh lift can address a lot of this excess skin but as with most body contouring procedures there are significant scars.  For a full thighplasty the scar runs along the top of the thigh over to the inner thigh and then down all the way to the knees .  The scar s are extensive and the improvement in contour should be weighed against the permanent scars to make sure that the scars are worth it.  Thighplasty surgery is also associated with significant risks including  infection and hematoma ( blood collections)  which can delay healing and return to work etc. 

Susan E. Downey, MD

Thigh lift after massive weight loss

+1

After massive weight loss, a vertical thigh lift is routinely done. Even though this results in a scar down the inner leg, it does a great job removing the excess hanging skin.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Medial thigh lift in massive weight loss patients

+1

Usually in massive weight loss patients they ahve a lot of skin and soft tissue laxity that often requires removal of soft tissue and skin in both a vertical and horiziontal direction.

Thigh lift

+1

A thighplasty removes and tightens the loose skin after weight loss. If your excess is in the medial thigh, then I usually make the incision in that area to get maximum improvement. This can be done as an outpatient and in many cases I combine body contouring procedures in the weight loss patient. I am president of the American Society of Bariatric PLastic Surgeons and this type of surgery is one of my specialties. Please visit my websites and watch videos and me on the Discovery channel with a similar patient.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scars for medial (inner) thigh lift

+1

After the degree of weight loss you describe, you will need incisions in the groin and down your inner thighs to achieve any tightening.  Although the operation involves only skin and fatty tissue, I hesitate to say that it is not invasive.  It could take from 2-3 hours. and you will need drains after surgery.  I usually tell my patients to avoid heavy stress on the legs for 6-8 weeks.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Medial thigh lift

+1

Medial thigh lift can be done in two methods depending on the skin laxity and d your acceptance of the scar.

The first method puts the scar in the grion area. This has a limited amount of tightening.

the other method puts the scar from the grion to the knee, on the inside of the thigh, this method will give more tightening but longer more visible scar.

See  BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON To discuss your personal options and prefernces