Medial Thigh Lift Scar Placement?

From the pictures, do I look like a good candidtate for a medial thigh lift with the scar being placed in the groin area? I would really prefer not to have a vertical scar and I would be willing to give up a little bit of lift. Can either lift be done safely at the same time as a lower body lift?

Medial thigh lift

+3

Placing the scar in medial thigh lift will give good results in the upper medial thigh. It does not translate very well to the knee area or the lower one third of the thigh. Closure of the wound is very important and should be secured to the pubis to prevent it from migrating down. The vertical scar is left to those with extreme laxity of the thigh down to the knee area. It gives a long scar but a tight thigh. Medial thigh lift can be combined with lower body lift, however you need to tailor the procedure to the individual and the length of surgery. Anterio thigh and lateral thigh lift is designed with the abdominoplasty incision. Here it is very important to be carefull in the grion area and not take deep fat for it contains the lymphatics which is important to preserve.

Medial thigh lift scars

+3

A small medial thigh lift can be done with scars in the groin area only, but for a full thigh tightening a vertical scar is also required.  As I can see from the pictures, you have excess skin that is best tightened by adding the vertical scar.  Your entire thigh cannot be seen thus I can't fully comment, but sometimes if the skin excess is up high then the vertical scar can potentially be kept somewhat short.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Vertical versus medial thigh lift

+2

It appears as though you'll probably need the vertical incision to remove all of the skin.  However, after 1 year the scar heals very nicely.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Medial Thigh Lift Scar

+2

It is possible to do a medial thigh lift with an oblique scar without a vertical component, but with significant excess skin it is easier to remove more tissue with a vertical component.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Incision Placement for Thigh Lift Surgery

+1

The type of incision utilized when performing thigh lift surgery is entirely dependent upon the patients anatomy and aesthetic goals.  When the deformity is relatively mild a horizontal incision can be placed in the groin crease.  This incision is nicely hidden in this location and usually provides a good aesthetic result. 

When the deformity is more significant and excess tissue is present in multiple dimensions, a more aggressive procedure is indicated.  This procedure will require excision of excess tissue in both the vertical and horizontal plains.  This usually involves extending the transverse incision along the inner aspect of the thigh to the level of the knee. 

Both of these incisions remove and tighten excess thigh skin and significantly improve thigh contour.  They are associated with high satisfaction rates amongst patients.  Unfortunately, both horizontal and vertical thigh lift incisions can be associated with unattractive scars.  For this reason, meticulous surgical technique is necessary whenever performing this procedure.  Horizontal incisions can be easily hidden by clothing along the groin crease, but in many cases there’s no way to hide the vertical incision.

It’s not unusual for patients to develop skin sag after undergoing massive weight loss.  Under these circumstances, many patients require some type of thigh lift surgery.  The exact procedure chosen is dependent upon the patient’s anatomy.  In your case it’s hard to make a decision without a physical exam or pictures that extend to the level of the knee.  In the vast majority of massive weight loss patients both a horizontal and vertical incision will be necessary to correct this problem.  Because of the magnitude of the procedure and the difficult nature of its recovery, most surgeons wouldn’t perform this procedure in combination with a lower body lift.

If you’re considering thigh lift surgery consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.  This surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate treatment plan to address your concerns. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Medial Thigh Lift Scar Position

+1

In your particular case from your photos (an exam would be best) I think that you would do fine with a groin incision only.
Different Plastic Surgeons with great experience and results often argue the answer to your question. The most important choice is finding the best surgeon (see below link).                        My choice as to whether a vertical scar is needed is on the basis of my exam and where the most excess skin is located. For example if a roll  of skin high up  on the inside of the thigh then a groin scar incision is  preferred, where as if there is circumferential excess from the knee to the groin then a vertical incision is best in my hands

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Crescent thigh lift or incision placed in the groin area would minimize visible scar

+1

Dear Sandy:

I believe you could have a crescent thigh lift or incision placed in the groin area.  I think this would give you  a significant improvement in the upper inner thigh and would minimize the chances of a visible scar on your thighs.  This can be done safely at the same time as a lower body lift.  Typically I combine medial thigh lifts and circumferential body lifts.

Congratulations on your weight loss surgery and good luck on completing your weight loss journey. 

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Thigh Lift

+1

A thigh lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that tightens and tones the skin of the thigh, particularly the medial thigh, by removing stubborn excess skin and fat of the medial thigh. Most patients are left with a scar in the groin crease that is easily hidden in swimming suits and regular clothes; patients who have lost large amounts of weight and have significant amount of excess skin, may have a scar in the groin crease as well as travelling down the length of the medial thigh. A mini thigh lift is similar to a standard thigh lift but addresses only the medial thigh and is performed through a slightly smaller incision in the groin crease.

Jaime Perez, MD

Medial thigh lift scar placement

+1

For small thigh lifts, the incision and resulting scar can be placed so that they are hidden in the natural crease of the groin.  For patients with a lot of excess loose skin of the thigh, it is best to combine this type of thigh lift with a scar on the inside of the thigh.  From your picture, I would suggest that you have too much excess skin to be adequately removed using just the groin incision/scar.  I think the scar on the inside of the thigh would be necessary to give you adequate tightening of the skin and the best result.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Probably not groin incision alone....

+1

You seem to have a moderate amount of lax thigh skin. A groin only approach will likely leave a good deal of that laxity untreated.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon