How Far Can Medial Sub-fascial Calf Implants Extend into the Lower Leg? (photo)

Theoretically since the implant is above the muscle and below the fascia, would it be possible to extend the implant into the lower leg/shin area, going beyond the confines of the calf muscle? I have extremely skinny legs, and im afraid traditional calf implants would only increase the upper portion. Is it possible to use a custom implant on the medial aspect of the leg, that extends below the calf muscle and into the shin area? Thank you.

Calf Implants - the good, the bad and the ugly.....

+2
Calf Implants have become a very popular procedure with exceedingly high patient satisfaction and very low complication rates. Most of the new calf implants are made of a very soft, solid silicone. The implant company should have two distinct implant shapes, one for the medial calf and one for the lateral calf. Only some of the implants, however, are very finely tapered to blend in more seamlessly with the tissues especially when placed in a subfascial plane. Even some of the current implants are too round and thick on the sides to blend nicely, in my opinion. The reality is that calf implants were made and designed to be just that...calf implants. They were not designed to extend into the lower leg. In saying that, i would say that we can cheat to certain degrees and lower the implant to certain degrees in some patients. The fascia that covers the muscle blends and joins the bottom of the gastrocnemius calf muscle. Once that fascia at the bottom is broken through, the implant becomes subcutaneous at that point. Generally one can get away with some of the implant in a deep subcutaneous plane, but once you break completely through the covering and supporting fascia, there is a much greater chance of problems. Problems including inferior displacement, visability of the implant, a more palpable implant, pain, etc. There are some designs that combine a long thin extension to a standard type implant, however those long thin extensions become essentially subcutaneous and are prone to be palpable and movable / unstable. Problems equal dissatisfaction. This is not to say that it always produces a problem or bad result, however, problems and complications are alot more likey. Fat augmentation of the ankle and lower leg is also unpredictable. I inject and transfer fat all over the body very successfully all the time. But the lower leg is more unpredictable. I have seen it do a good job and i have seen it heal without result and even worse with darkening of the skin with firmness, taking months to resolve. To sum it up, calf augmentation with the right implants is a popular and wonderful procedure with low complications. The more you vary from this standard procedure, by attempting to augment the calf into the lower leg, the more likely you are to encounter complications.

Longer calf implants

+1
There are long, soft calf implants available that extend below the muscle bulk in the mid-calf to several inches above the ankle. This may be the look you want.
The ones I use are called Contour Flex, made by Allied Biomedical in California. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Longer Calf Implants for a smooth transition between the muscle and ankle

+1

Thank you for your answer.  I have performed about 120 calf augmentation so far (March 2013).  Most patients want a fuller and more muscular lower leg and for that reason, most calf implants are short and inserted under the muscle fascia itself, limiting the length of the implant to the size of the muscle itself.  However, longer and thinner implants exist to achieve an overall fuller lower leg;  those longer implants can be inserted in a different plane (still a sub-fascial plane but a different one), by an expert only.  Calf implants are much more predictable than fat grafting.  Hope this helps!  Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Plastic Surgeon, Board-Certified.

Marc DuPere, MD

Calf impants

+1

no, the implants should only extend to normal muscle anatomy.  otherwise there may be problems walking.

James Apesos, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

How Far Can Medial Sub-fascial Calf Implants Extend into the Lower Leg?

+1

I think that calf implants should mirror the natural muscle bulk. As such they should extend to encompass the muscle borders.