How Far Can Medial Sub-fascial Calf Implants Extend into the Lower Leg? (photo)

Theoretically since the implant is above the muscle and below the fascia, would it be possible to extend the implant into the lower leg/shin area, going beyond the confines of the calf muscle? I have extremely skinny legs, and im afraid traditional calf implants would only increase the upper portion. Is it possible to use a custom implant on the medial aspect of the leg, that extends below the calf muscle and into the shin area? Thank you.

How Far Can Medial Sub-fascial Calf Implants Extend into the Lower Leg?

+1

I think that calf implants should mirror the natural muscle bulk. As such they should extend to encompass the muscle borders.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Calf-Implants.php

Longer Calf Implants for a smooth transition between the muscle and ankle

+1

Thank you for your answer.  I have performed about 120 calf augmentation so far (March 2013).  Most patients want a fuller and more muscular lower leg and for that reason, most calf implants are short and inserted under the muscle fascia itself, limiting the length of the implant to the size of the muscle itself.  However, longer and thinner implants exist to achieve an overall fuller lower leg;  those longer implants can be inserted in a different plane (still a sub-fascial plane but a different one), by an expert only.  Calf implants are much more predictable than fat grafting.  Hope this helps!  Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Plastic Surgeon, Board-Certified.

Calf impants

+1

no, the implants should only extend to normal muscle anatomy.  otherwise there may be problems walking.

Dayton Plastic Surgeon