Taking Mederma After Tumescent Liposuction?

How soon after a Tumescent Liposuction of the inner thighs can one start using products to help reduce scarring like Mederma?

Also if you're having swelling of the calves down to the ankles (not treated) is there anything you can take? I've tried both Aleve and Benadryl and neither one has helped. My procedure was 1 week ago on 5/28

Mederma application

+2

Often the incisions for inner thigh liposuction heals well then in any other areas in my opinion. But if you wish you can start using it after 5-6 days once the wound is dry and healed.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Lipo

+1

Mederma is a good product but you should inform your surgeon of what you are doing and keep them informed.  The swelling can be helped with elevation and compression garments. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mederma for scars

+1

Mederma was found in a clinical, published study to have no greater effect than using petroleum jelly for improving the appearance of scarring.  Silicone sheeting, pulsed dye lasers, IPL, and even CO2 lasers are more effective at improving scar appearance.

Swelling at this point in areas not treated should be addressed with your doctor.  Walking (if comfortable) and reducing dietary salt intake may help to improve the swelling, as could compression hose.  All of this should be completed under the supervision of your doctor.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Ok to use topical skin creams after 1 week

+1

For my liposuction patients, I recommend that after a week, when the incision is dry, they can start using either a silicone based gel or Mederma.  I like Mederma--it's usually easily available--and it seems to be helping my patients end up with a better little incision than if they were not using it.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mederma after tumescent liposuction

+1

Mederma is a scar cream that may be used on healing scars to optimize their appearance. The incisions after a lack suction procedure should typically be very small and about a half a centimeter. If you wish to use Mederma onto these incisions, wait for approximately 3 to 4 weeks until the incisions have closed completely and have begun the healing process.

Reducing bruising and swelling after Liposuction

+1

Improving your postoperative symptoms and outcome after liposuction takes a few easy steps. Patients should include a regimen of anti-inflammatories, BruiseStick Arnica and Bromelain, a BruisePak, and compression garments. I incorporate all of these factors in the post-op care packet.

Prevention of scars after liposuction

+1

It's not too soon to start using a topical treatment to minimize scarring at the incision sites. Instead of Mederma, which really has never been proven to help much, I recommend topical silicone gels to my patients. These have actually been proven to accelerate improvement in the appearance of the scars, and they can also help to prevent and treat keloid scarring. I like Kelo-cote gel for scars not exposed to sunlight, and BioCorneum (which also contains sunblock) for scars that may darken with sun exposure. In terms of the swelling, the best thing to do at this point is to keep your legs elevated as much as possible. Support stockings (such as TED hose) may also be somewhat beneficial.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Swellng and bruising of legs after liposuction

+1

I am not a real advocate of Mederma. I am not aware of any reliable study which shows any true benfits from it's use. Topical silicone gel products with a sunscreen may be more beneficial.

The use of arnica cream may help expedite resolution of the echhymoses (bruising)

Manual lymphatic drainage and gentle graded compression may be excellent adjuncts to minimize postoperative swelling.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.