Mederma for Post-Mole Removal Scars?

I used a natural mole remover called Dermatend on my leg and was left with flat, red scars.does Mederma help with this type of scar and will mederma help turn my scars back to normal skin tone? Also will it work on 1 year old scars?

Use of Mederma and Other Scar Improvement Therapies

+1

There is no clinical evidence that proves that Mederma is more effective than placebo in a suture line that has been meticulously closed without tension.  Scars take a full year to mature because humans are genetically programmed to heal in phases, while collagen remodeling becomes less vigorous.  Topical therapies (silicone) can be of some benefit in reducing redness in keloids and hypertrophic scars.  My advice is to save your money and keep the incision line out of the sun.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Moles removal

+1

First, I would be careful about removal of moles without having the mole examined under a microscope by a dermatopathologist.

Second, mederma has not been proven to be more beneficial than other over the counter lotions/ointments. I recommend vitamin E oil to my patients.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Mederma doesn't work. It's snake oil.

+1

Medermal does nothing to improve scars.  It is a good emollient but that's about it and it's ridiculously expensive.  Better to spend your money on Whizzo dust or cheap snake oil.

Topical therapy for scars

+1

I have found no convincing evidence in studies that products such as Mederma improve scars, however, as I tell my patients, there is little risk to using these topical therapies.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Topical silicone may be the best topical treatment for scar improvement

+1

Topical silicone may be the best topical treatment for scar improvement. While mederma, an extract of onion skin, is frquently recommended it is not as effective as silicone in my experience.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Mederma is not any better for scars than petroleum jelly/Moles need to be examined to be sure they are benign

+1

In studies of side by side comparison of how a scar looked after using Mederma vs using a petrolatum based jelly (Vaseline, Aquaphor, etc), Mederma did not do any better than the jelly.

Did you have the lesion on your leg evaluated by a dermatologist prior to using Dermatend?  It would be helpful to know what it was removed by this chemical.  Was it a benign lesion?  I would urge caution about removing lesions without having a definite diagnosis that it's benign. 

All moles that I remove go to the lab to be examined by a pathologist, as there are a number of lesions that may look like a mole but be something much more dangerous.  By simply destroying the lesion, there is no way to know what it is unless it recurs or potentially metastasizes. 

That is particularly true on the legs of women, the area of highest risk for a melanoma in women.

Please reconsider using a method like this again.

As for the red scar, nothing to do but wait and see if the redness goes away by itself.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon