Can Mederma Be Aplied to a Tummy Tuck Scar After Two Weeks if the Incision is Healed and the Stitches Have Dissolved?

What to apply to a scar for post-op scar management?

+1

I typically wait 4-6 weeks to begin scar treatment and I recommend starting with silicone gel strips, they have been proven to work the best in clinical trials. I would use these strips for 3 months and then re-elavuate after treatment. Good luck.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Scar massage therapy

+1

I generally recommend initiation of scar massage therapy 4-6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.  Please ask your PS about his/her recommendations.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
I encourage all of my patients after their surgery, especially tummy tucks and breast surgery, to begin scar control 3 weeks after surgery. We have a scar control program in my office. I would ask your plastic surgeon first to make sure he/ she agrees. with you.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Scar massage

+1

I commonly ask my patients to massage their scars once they have healed, usually at around two weeks, and lotion can help with this. There are many options for scar care, so ask your surgeon what he/she recommends and when to start. A scar can continue to change for a year or more after surgery, including fading, and this can be the best time to influence it.

M. Susann Bedford, MD

Mederma for tummy tuck scar

+1

Postop care decisions should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.  I personally do not recommend treatment unless there are indications to treat.  You can expect the scar to go through an inflammatory phase, during which it will appear redder, but this normal and part of the standard healing.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Mederma to Tummy Tuck Incision?

+1

Although it should not be a problem applying  topical creams to the incision line once it is healed,  you should run this question by your plastic surgeon who may have his/her own recommendations and who is ultimately responsible for your care.