Can Mederma Be Aplied to a Tummy Tuck Scar After Two Weeks if the Incision is Healed and the Stitches Have Dissolved?

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

What to apply to a scar for post-op scar management?

+1

I typically wait 4-6 weeks to begin scar treatment and I recommend starting with silicone gel strips, they have been proven to work the best in clinical trials. I would use these strips for 3 months and then re-elavuate after treatment. Good luck.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Scar massage therapy

+1

I generally recommend initiation of scar massage therapy 4-6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.  Please ask your PS about his/her recommendations.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
I encourage all of my patients after their surgery, especially tummy tucks and breast surgery, to begin scar control 3 weeks after surgery. We have a scar control program in my office. I would ask your plastic surgeon first to make sure he/ she agrees. with you.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Scar massage

+1

I commonly ask my patients to massage their scars once they have healed, usually at around two weeks, and lotion can help with this. There are many options for scar care, so ask your surgeon what he/she recommends and when to start. A scar can continue to change for a year or more after surgery, including fading, and this can be the best time to influence it.

M. Susann Bedford, MD

Mederma for tummy tuck scar

+1

Postop care decisions should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.  I personally do not recommend treatment unless there are indications to treat.  You can expect the scar to go through an inflammatory phase, during which it will appear redder, but this normal and part of the standard healing.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Mederma to Tummy Tuck Incision?

+1

Although it should not be a problem applying  topical creams to the incision line once it is healed,  you should run this question by your plastic surgeon who may have his/her own recommendations and who is ultimately responsible for your care.