Mechanical Ptosis After Eyelid Surgery

Does mechanical ptosis always occur after eyelid surgery? In which some of the pupil is being blocked because of edema of the eyelid crease? How many millimeters should I expect the crease to go higher (so that it does not block my pupil) in normal cases?

Eyelid ptosis after blepharoplasty

+1

It is possible to experience swelling of the eyelid after upper eyelid surgery, and this resolves with time. Any interference with vision after blepharoplasty needs to be discussed with and evaluated by your plastic surgeon.

Eyelid surgery & ptosis

+1

There are many things that can cause an eyelid to droop or be ptotic. It is very common to have swelling for a few days to a few weeks after lid surgery. That said, it is uncommon to have significant "mechanical ptosis" afterwards. Certainly one needs to wait for swelling to resolve before doing anything. It is most important to follow up with your surgeon and discuss your concerns. But be patient as swelling will go away.

Scott M. Goldstein, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Saagging (Ptosis) after Surgery

+1

Regarding:  "Mechanical Ptosis After Eyelid Surgery
Does mechanical ptosis always occur after eyelid surgery? In which some of the pupil is being blocked because of edema of the eyelid crease? How many millimeters should I expect the crease to go higher (so that it does not block my pupil) in normal cases
?"

The terms "always" and "never" are rarely if ever applicable in Medicine because the more gray hairs we acquire and the greater our clinical experience the more we realize that there are always surprises, exceptions and even miracles in Medicine. We therefore prefer to qualify our answers with terms like commonly, uncommonly, predominantly, expected and rarely.

By not specifying WHICH "eyelid surgery" you are referring to and by choosing not not to submit a photograph, you are obviously either overly relying on my colleagues' and my not so amazing telepathic scanning and mind-reading skills or just wanted a generic answer to your question.

Upper Blepharoplasty surgery is NOT commonly associated with massive swelling sufficient to cause significant eyelid sagging (ptosis). There are several types of Ptosis correction surgery, each of which varies in the amount of dissection of the upper lid and thereby each varies in the extent of associated swelling. I would therefore refer you to the surgeon who ? did / ? will do the "eyelid surgery" you had done or are contemplating.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Swelling after upper eyelid surgery

+1

You should certainly expect some swelling after upper eyelid surgery, whether there was only skin removed, or skin and muscle.  If you are only a few days out from your surgery, I'm not surprised you have mechanical ptosis from the swelling.  Your best bet would be to ask your own surgeon about her impression at this point in your recovery.  I'm sure she wants the best outcome possible and would give you good advice.

Carmen Kavali, MD