How to Prevent Varicose Veins on Legs?

I think I have started developing varicose veins on my feet. Thankfully nothing can be seen on my legs but I am very apprehensive, I do not want the problem to worsen and reach my legs! Can compression stockings prevent the aggravation of varicose veins? Are there any other methods for preventing aggravation? And can varicose veins disappear or reduce on their own?

Varicose veins on feet and legs

+2

Good, firm support hose are a good way to slow down the progression of varicose veins. Elevating your feet occasionally during the day is good, too. Wear soft-soled shoes if you work a lot while standing. In my experience, varicose veins tend to be a genetic and frequently patients usually have a family history of varicose veins, though they can also be the result of pregnancy. Unfortunately, varicose veins do not resolve on their own without treatment. Once varicose veins develop, I have never seen them diminish in size and, in fact, they usually worsen.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Support Stockings

+1

Varicose veins are due to malfunctioning valves usually of the saphenous system.  There are many causes but the two most common are genetics and pregnancies.  Other causes include trauma and aging.  When the valves malfunction (reflux) the pressure builds in the veins leading to varicose veins, therefore, the preventive treatment needs to reduce the venous pressure and this is best done by wearing support hose.  This will at least delay the occurrence of veins.  Other things to do would be to stay physically fit and exercise.  There are several homeopathic herbs available including horse chestnut and diosmin but there is no clinical evidence to support these. Varicose veins will not resolve on their own.

Naples General Surgeon

Treatment of varicose veins and venous reflux

+1

Varicose veins can be controlled, but not eliminated with conservative measures. Compression stockings can help control venous reflux, but the problem will still be present unless endovenous ablation is performed. 

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/21/spider-veins.aspx

Varicose veins

+1

Good Supprt Stocking are good, Elevation of the legs, Not standing for long periods of time, pregnancy can aggrivate varicose veins. Testing for the competency of the major valves in the veins will predict if you will progress to full VV

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.