With my Measurements, What Would Be a Probable Implant Size?

I know my self-taken measurements will likely vary from those taken by my plastic surgeon, and that there are many other things to take into consideration, but what could be a good fit for me based on these measurements: 30" rib cage (taken under arm pit) 31" bust at nipples 34" bust when pregnant 11.5 cm wide L (flat distance from crease to crease) 10.5 cm wide R 5'4" 105 lbs 34.5" hips

Breast Implant Selection

+3

Hello Addie's Mommy,

Thank you for the excellent photographs and measurements as well.  I believe you gave all the right information for a surgeon to make a decision about implant size for you, or at least the biggest implant that would be available to you should you want it.

You are thin!  Your breast tissue is small, with breast bases of 10.5 cc on the right and 11.5 cm on the left.  Your skin elasticity appears tight.  So, from an anatomic standpoint, the implant that would best suit you is one that does not exceed the base width of your breasts (at least not by much) and has an intemediate projection.  This leaves you with an implant in the 225 to 250 cc.

Adhering to this advice will give you an aesthetically pleasing breast form with virtually no risk of implant malposition (tissue stretch causing implant drop out or pocket closure causing high riding implant), inframammary fold disruption, or even rippling.  Could a larger implant be placed?  Absolutely, but the results are at greater risk to be compromised by the previously mentioned complications.

What is a good implant size for me.

+3

Dear Addies Mom,  given your measurements and photos, there are a range of implants that will create a natural look, appropriate for your body and breast shape.  My recommndations are anywhere from a  275CC mod plus profile implant if you are looking for a very modest enhancement (this will result in a B cup), to a 325CC moderate plus profile implant which will give you a C cup. Keep in mind that cup sizes are approximate.  If you are looking for a larger enhancement, which tends to have a less natural appearance, adjustments will have to be made in the volume and the profile. Don't get too bogged down in the numbers as 25CC is less than 2 tablspoons.  Ultimately, we select the implant that best suits your wishes and your body.  If you visit  my website  you can  get a better idea of what can be achieved. Good Luck.

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Measurements are only 1/2 the picture.

+2

While measurements provide a platform from which to choose an implant, your goals from augmentation are just as important. Given your small frame and breast size, a submuscular silicone gel implant is your best option. The size and shape of the implant depend on the breast dimensions, the tightness of the skin, and your ultimate goals from augmentation. I encourage you to find a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to have a consultation. This will give you your best options.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Have measurements--find best implant size!

+2

Thank you for your photos and careful measurements. Unfortunately, you did not include one of the most critical bits of information--your desired post-op breast size, based on activity levels, personal goals, and clothing choices. Many other factors go into choosing a size; you may want to read my article (found on the About tab of my Profile page on this site) titled "What is the Right Breast Implant Size for You?" for more insight into how we as plastic surgeons help our patients make this choice. Also, i wonder just how you measured your breast base width--even for a petite woman such as you, these (10.5 and 11.5cm) widths seem both a bit off and "backwards." Usually the left breast is narrower because the ribcage curves more aggressively around the heart, whereas the right chest is flatter and less rounded, with a slightly wider breast base.

But little matter; you are absolutely right that measurements are done slightly differently by each surgeon--it is the case-to-case consistency that allows us to make informed choices with our patients after carefully listening to their wishes and goals. Without a personal examination and my own measurements, as well as asking you about your goals, lifestyle, and reviewing before and after photos of many of my own patients, it's hard to try to give you a useful answer to your question, but I'll try nonetheless!

You look as if you wear an A-cup bra. This is one more bit of information I ask of my patients--"How does your bra fit, and what size and kind do you like to wear?" To your present size I use the "rule of thumb" of adding about 250cc per cup size, also informing my patients that a certain implant size they like in a bra and stretchy top will need to be increased by 50-100cc in the body under the muscle. On the lower end of the implant size range, I would add 50cc. So, to get a B-cup you would need about  275-300cc implants, probably moderate plus profile, but perhaps moderate to avoid an overly wide and unnatural cleavage. If you want a C-cup, I would go to 450cc or so, dependent on the thickness of your muscle, and the tone of your skin and muscle while creating the implant pocket. While these numbers may seem high, I have found that many if not most women are glad we chose slightly larger than they initially thought they wanted. My re-operations for size increase have decreased with this "method" of choosing the best size with my patient's input.

Also, other patients "AFTER" photographs whose breast size you like is more helpful than a "letter cup size" or even a cc implant volume, because that lets me know what is in YOUR mind's eye rather than a stated letter causing a "picture" in MY mind's eye!

See one or more experienced ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who do lots of breast surgeries, and go over all of the things I have discussed in my answer here and in my article. You can also read the link below for lots more information about breast augmentation surgery and all of the options available to you. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+2

Choosing the right implant for you really depends upon what volume you want. More than likely a narrower based implant would be best for your  anatomy.

Size is based on so many factors...

+2

Your measurements help and the photos help too but they do not substitute for a physical exam that helps to show the quality and elasticity of your tissues.  Furthermore, I do not know what your goals are.  Are you looking to be on the larger side or smaller side?  Unfortunately a computer forum like this is a poor place to seek recommendations that are specific such as what size implant to use.  I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to help assist you in reaching your goals!   Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon