Is it ok to harvest the fat using VASER? And what VASER means?

VASER & fat grafting

+2

Hi, VASER is a 3rd generation ultrasound device, which uses pulsed sound waves, to selectively emulsify & pre treat fat. The fat is then sucked out using suction assisted liposuction.

We have been using VASER in our practice for over 3 years now and off late there have been some reports to suggest that VASERed fat can be used for fat grafting. However, we still prefer to harvest the fat for AFT with low pressure, syringe suction without VASER.

India Plastic Surgeon

VASER and fat grafting

+2

VASER is a machine made by a company in Denver, Colorado that uses ultrasound waves to selectively emulsify (break down) fat which can then be removed by traditional liposuction techniques.  The company does have some research to show that the fat cells are not damaged and many surgeons to use this for fat harvesting and for transfer.  It is, however, controversial.  I personally avoid using the VASER for harvesting fat.  The fat cells are quite fragile and I try not to do anything to damage them.   That being said, VASER can be used but the yield viable of fat cells may not be as high.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Fat Harvest with the VASER (Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction)

+2

The VASER machine uses pulses of high frequency sound waves to shake fat cells loose from their fibrous attachments. Using lower energy VASER has been show to increase fat cell lossening as well as resulting in living cells. Depending on the setting the Plastic surgeon uses on the VASER and subsequently the suction force used in actually removin the loosened fat cells, most of the fat cells WILL survive the procedure and transfer.

Good Luck

Memphis, TN

VASER and fat harvesting

+2

VASER is a form of ultrasonice liposuction and there are studies that suggest that harvesting fat is OK using this method.

Vaser will destroy all the fat.

+1

Yes.. You can harvest the fat using VASER. Vasor means, it  will destroy all the fat. So this is the better option. 

Jhonny Salomon, MD

Vaser Lipo

+1

Thank you for your question. Yes, Vaser is a great way to harvest fat. Vaser is an ultrasound resonant device to vibrate and shake fat loose from the structure. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer with VASER

+1

VASER LipoSelection® is a trade name of the Sound Surgical Technologies company that manufacturers the VASER technologies in Denver, CO. It is a unique wavelength, so they, I believe, decided to use a name related to laser, because it’s an ultrasonic dissolution of fat with a selective wavelength at 32,000 cycles per second.

At my Cleveland plastic surgery practice, I frequently use the fat extracted from VASER LipoSelection®. Based upon cell viability studies, which are ongoing, in the area of fat transfer we have found that VASER LipoSelection® at low energy is a marvelous mechanism by which live fat cells and stem cells are harvested at high volume. Using the VASER LipoSelection® technique, then filtering the fluid (effluent), we’re able to get high concentrations of wonderful viable stem and fat cells.

Those of us who are using VASER LipoSelection® as a fat reduction technique have been excited by the ability to do large volume Brazilian Butt Lifts with high efficiency “take” of the fat. The small incisions and low blood loss with minimal downtime associated with VASER LipoSelection® are also important to my Cleveland VASER LipoSelection® patients who want to have a fat transfer, because we’re able to easily accomplish this in a single operative session. What could be better than making a big area smaller and making a small area bigger!

To your health & beauty,

Dr. Paul Vanek

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Mentor, OH

Paul Vanek, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon