Many MDs Recommend Frequent Massages After Lipo, Yet Also Recommend Constant Wearing of the Compression Garment. What Do You Say

Many MDs recommend frequent massages after lipo, yet also recommend constant wearing of the compression garment. So how often and for how long can the compression garment be off? Also, i am fairly incontinent, so will have to remove the garment every 1-2 hours to go to the bathroom. Will that be a problem?

We recommend wearing the garment and post-operative massage

+2

Hello and thank you for your question!  In my practice, we build in two post-operative massage treatments into our surgical packages.  We have found lymphatic massage to be very beneficial to reducing the amount of swelling post-operatively.  These massages are an hour long and take place at our one week and two week follow up appointments.  We have found that we have less seroma formations (or collections of fluid under the skin) with this protocol.  I also have my patients wear their garment for 3-4 weeks, day and night, unless they are laundering their garment.  The garments we order are "crotch-less" for their convenience.  The feedback that we receive from most patients is that they actually prefer wearing their garments due to the support it gives them, as well as the minimization of tingling post-operatively. I hope this helps.  Best of luck!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Both massage and compression may be unnecessary

+2

Although most plastic surgeons recommend a compression garment after liposuction for comfort, control of swelling and shape, it is not mandatory for a good result.  Therefore,  the only problem with removing the garment frequently is having to reapply it which can be uncomfortable early postop.

Typically it is worn for the first 3-6 weeks.

Similarly, although massage after liposuction may help to control swelling and bring some comfort, it is also not mandatory for a good result.  Therefore, it is OK to have the garment off as needed for massage or using the bathroom without any worries. 

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Garments and massage after lipo

+2

Every surgeon is a bit different. Some do not recommend garments--I do.  Some recommend massage-- I do not usually.  Best to follow the advice of your surgeon.

Garments post-liposuction

+1

I have my patients wear compression garments for at least 24 hrs after liposuction until the leakage stops. then the patients are supposed to wear compression stockings that are of a certrain pressure anywhere from 20-40 mm Hg. the level of appropriate compression is determined at the time of consultation. I like a pantyhose style with graded pressure from feet to the mid abdomen. such type of graded compression is not only comfortable but is helps the patients to heal fatser

Misbah Khan, MD

Garment Suggestion after Lipo

+1

Good news. The garment is bottomless, so it does not have to be removed to go to the bathroom.

Plan on wearing it for three to five days. You wear it for 24 hours after all the drainage stops.

Regarding massage, there is no specific requirement.

We have had patients who have done no massage and had excellent results.

Good luck and God bless.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon