Had Mcghan Implants Mod + 270-300. Replaced W Mentor Mod 275-300. Why Are Mentors So Much More Rippled? Is It the Shell Diff?

Wanted the same look after a rupture in my mcghan saline but chose mentor bc my surgeon uses it. Both filled to max fill recommended by manufacturer. Why are my mentors full of visible ripples? Ripples create shadows and even come to a point just under my nipple. My Mcghans were more full w no ripples and had not been overfilled. Could it be bc mcghan/allergan has a thicker outer shell. Pre aug I was 32a -- I am 5'4 - 103 lbs w bony chest and no breast tissue of my own.

Ripples

+2

Thicker shell usually more likely to propagate the natural ripples of implants.  So, it's unlikely manufacturer related.  Two unknowns: the real fill (as opposed to the documented fill/surgeon's recollection) of the implants prior and now, and whether something else was done, like tissue removal or division that might allow for more rippling. 

If after three months you still feel ripples to the point of dissatisfaction, you have a few choices. First is overfilling the implants to 310 or 315.  Upside is you ripple less, downside is your implants will be firmer and higher projecting. Another choice would be to ditch saline, and get silicone gel filled implants. It may not eliminate rippling (although it might), but it will feel softer and more pliable.

More rippling after implant exchange

+2

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing more rippling.  There isn't a significant shell difference between Mcghan (Naturelle)  and Mentor.  You will have more rippling when you don't have as much coverage (breast tissue and muscle).  Perhaps your plastic surgeon removed scar tissue around the Mcghan implant at the time of implant exchange.  You should talk with your plastic surgeon.

Sugene Kim, MD

Rippling after Breast Implant revision in San Antonio

+2

Rippling can be a very troubling problem.  It usually does not get better with time.  I have not noticed a difference in the rippling between the 2 manufacturers and I have used both for Breast Augmentation in San Antonio.  I do notice less rippling with a tighter pocket so your pocket may have been manipulated.  I also notice less rippling with silicone implants.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant exchange and rippling

+1

Without having more information it is difficult to say for sure. Were they the same type of implant( i.e saline or silicone), in same pocket, was the capsule removed?  All these can impact the risk of rippling.

Why Are Mentors So Much More Rippled?

+1

We need considerably more info to answer this question. If all you had was replacement with the same 300cc volume, there would be no noticeable difference, but if the surgeon altered the capsule in any way, that might explain it.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD