8 Yr Old McGhan Implants Deflated, How Do I Choose What Type of Implant to Replace them With?

are there any studies that have shown why one is better than the other. Also, I am now considering the new silicone gel implant, how safe is the silicone implant now. I am 5'3" 116 lbs and currently have a 360cc implant filled to 390cc and would like to go bigger but still look proportioned.

McGhan implants

+2
This company is called Allergan now, if your implants were inserted in the US, you are covered by their warranty, you need to find out their serial number, it will be in the card given to you after your surgery, if you do not have that, then you will need the operative report, your doctor can get that for you. Any board certified plastic surgeon will be able to guide you in the process. Because of this it will be better for you to continue with Allergan, you may or may not obtain monetary help, which could be around 1200, you should be able to get replacement implants(saline) however this company usually will be willing to allow you to upgrade to a silicone implant, you will have to pay the difference . Again the best advise for you is to see a board certified plastic surgeon (American board of plastic surgery) Good luck

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Exchanging deflated saline implants

+2

I am a big believer in gel implants.  These have ben approved by the FDA and studies validate their safety and effectiveness.  Of the different manufacturers I have had the best experience with Mentor implants, although your surgeon will have an opinion based on his/her won experience with the manufacturer.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Breast implant revision/sizing

+2

Thank you for the question. Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentationrevision surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

8 Yr Old McGhan Implants Deflated, How Do I Choose What Type of Implant to Replace them With

+1

The McGhan corporation was purchased by the Allergan corporation and renamed its implants Natrelle. You McGhan implants have a lifetime warranty. They will be replaced without charge with any size Natrelle implants as long as you can prove you had those implants (by sending the explanted implants for inspection back to Allergan). If you purchased the extended warranty at the time of your surgery, Allergan will also pay you up to 2,400 dollars to the cost of having the implants exchanged.

As to which implant you should have would depend on your examination, amount of breast tissue and your surgeon's preference. See one or more Plastic surgeons and understand your options.

Good Luck.

Peter A aldea, MD

+1

Your questions are very personal and best answered in an in person evaluation with a boarded PS in your area. 

Implant deflation

+1

I think the Allergan or Mentor implants are about the same. It ends up often being surgeon preference.

Implant Deflation at 8 Years

+1

Sorry for your implant deflation.  It is frustrating to deal with and is one of the downsides of saline implants. But it does give you the oportunity to improve the shape, appearance and feel of your implants.  Since your deflation occurred within the first 10 years after placement , you will be eligible for some financial support from  McGhan (now called Allergan). Much extensive research has been done by the implant companies in the United States to demonstrate the high safety profile for silicone breast implants.  A good place to look for the information is in the FAQ section of the Natrelle web site.  Silicone implants look and feel better but they do require more monitoring than saline. For patients that have misgivings about silicone ,regardless of what the science says, I recommend saline implants for their peace of mind.

Mary Lee Peters, MD