McGhan 510 FX Question?

Two surgeons recommend anatomical implants placed under the muscle, due to lack of breast tissue (5’6” -120 lbs - 34A). A third one recommends a specific type of implant (Allergan style 510FX dual gel 250cc) placed over the muscle. Photos of his results with this specific type of implant look very natural. Do you agree that this type of implant is suitable for subglandular placement in women with very little breast tissue? My major concern is a natural look and longevity of the result.

Implants

+1

Most surgeons would recommend submuscular augmentation in women with small breasts and very little soft tissue coverage

Submuscular or Subglandular Implants for Little Tissue

+1

In general, those patients with very little tissue are better served by placement under the muscle rather than over the muscle.

Breast implant choice

+1

Choosing the right breast implants is performed in the office after an appropriate exam and discussion with the patient about their goals. 

Best Position for Breast Implants?

+1

Although I cannot provide you with precise advice online, I generally recommend the sub muscular (dual plane) position of breast implants for patients with “very little breast tissue”.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).

The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.
On the other hand,  sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle)  they can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position.  

Again,  in my opinion, most patients benefit from sub muscular ( dual plane) breast implant positioning.