Will Chin Still Look Underprojected After Reduction Rhinoplasty?

I’m 18. My doctor said that a reduction rhinoplasty would be great for me and also to fix some functional problems. Okay, the thing is that I told him that some patients may require a chin implant and I told him that maybe I need one too. He said that already making the nose smaller the chin would look bigger. However I think after surgery it will still look “under projected”. We haven’t done the imaging yet, should I keep on asking him about chin implant? THANKS!

Chin implant with rhinoplasty?

+2

Your profile photo suggests strongly that you would benefit from more chin projection.

I'm not a big fan of chin implants in young patients such as you. It is very unlikely that an implant will sit for 50 or 60 years without causing problems such as erosion of the bone and damage to tooth roots. Moreover, it is very difficult to remove a chin implant years later without leaving noticeable deformities.

In young patients I usually do a sliding genioplasty. I make an incision inside the mouth behind the lower lip, cut the 'chin bone' and slide it forward. It is then fixed in place with a several very small plates and screws. While it sounds radical, once it heals you can forget about your chin and never worry about complications from the implant.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Reduction Rhinoplasty Will Alter Chin Appearance

+2

Anytime you alter the nose, especially if you are reducing the size and shape of the nose, the profile is going to change.  If someone has an under-projecting chin, this can lessen the appearance and provide a better balance without needing some sort of chin augmentation.  If there is any question, then do things in stages and see how you feel about things with just the rhinoplasty. I hope this helps. 

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with Chin Implant for Facial Aesthetic Balance

+1

When one looks at the face, we evaluate if all features are in harmony.  Features which are either overly dominant or overly recessive can shift the balance of aesthetic harmony.  I fully agree that your profile will benefit from a rhinoplasty with hump reduction.  Although, your chin will remain a weak feature on your profile, and adding a chin implant to strengthen your lower face will help to balance your profile even more.  I would recommend an anatomic chin implant in your case.  Good Luck.....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

With a small chin, nasal reduction is not a treatment for this.

+1

For overall facial balance, there is a relationship between your nose and chin. An underprojecting chin can create the "illusion" of a nose that is larger than it really is. In your situation, you have almost the opposite. Even with a rhinoplasty (reduction), your chin will still be under projecting, creating a facial imbalance. You would definitely benefit from a chin implant.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Underprojected Chin after Rhinoplasty

+1

While a rhinoplasty will improve your profile, this will not change the need for a chin implant to achieve the ultimate result. If a patient has the financial resources, it is best to do the implant and the rhinoplasty during the same operation.

Facial Profile Can Benefit By Both A Rhinoplasty And A Chin Augmentation.

+1

There is no question that there is a relationship between the nose and the chin in a profile view. Making a nose smaller (reduction rhinoplasty) can create the illusion that the chin is 'bigger'. But how signifincat that is depends on how much the nose is being reduced and how deficient the chin is. Your profile view shows a greater chin deficiency than the nose is big. Therefore, your chin will still look deficient after your rhinoplasty. This can be proven and illustrated with predictive computer imaging where you can see the simulated rhinoplasty result but with and without a chin augmentation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Will reductive rhinoplasty make an under-projected chin look bigger?

+1

Even with improving the overall size of your nose your chin will still be relatively under-projected in relation to the rest of your face.

There are two approaches to chin augmentation:

1. A chin implant is placed over the jaw bone to provide additional projection in that area
  2. A sliding genioplasty involves making cuts in the chin bone, advancing it forward (and possibly downward too) and then using small titanium plates and screws to secure it in place. The tooth position is not changed with this approach. If your overall tooth allignment is off you may want to consider oral surgery (and/or braces) to fix both problems.

If your current surgeon doesn't want to do a chin augmentation you may want to check with a different surgeon for another opinion.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty will NOT be a substitute for an underprojected chin!

+1

Rhinoplasty will NOT be a substitute for an underprojected chin! It will make a small difference but you are correct--you need a chin implant. You don't need imaging--you need a more experienced surgeon.

Chin implant with rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Alann,

In looking at your profile photo, I don't think that rhinoplasty alone will give you the overall profile change that you are looking for.  It appears that you would benefit from a chin implant or chin augmentation procedure in addition to your rhinoplasty.  Of course, whether you are a good candidate for a chin implant will depend on your bite and the alignment of your upper and lower teeth.  Assuming that you have a normal bite with no overbite or underbite then a chin implant would be a nice addition for you.  Good luck and persist in your questions with your surgeon.

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and nose

+1

From your profile photos, I would have to agree with you that your chin looks underprojected and will also be that way after surgery.