Maximum Cup Size Through Breast Implants?

I would like to have large< breast implants. How big can I go in terms of cup size if I am 30B?

Smaller breast implants do better over time

+1

Some women want larger breasts. I find myself discussing risk with them as the risks do increase substantially as you go beyond a certain size. That size is relative to your starting point. Really large implants with little tissue to cover them tend to look pretty ugly over time and there are not many reliable ways to fix this if it were to happen.

Just be careful.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Beware an overflowing cup!

+1

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your original bra size, 30B suggests that you are a thin woman and stretching your tissues excessively will eventually result in large, saggy breasts. In breast augmentation, both the patient and surgeon have high expectations which include soft, mobile breasts, minimal scars, appropriately positioned nipples, attractive cleavage, proportionality and longevity. As a generation, we've all been imprinted on the Victoria's secret girls and think that all breasts should be full, high and tight, however the reality is that aging and gravity scupper the best engineering.

Be candid with your surgeon about your expectations and I would expect (s)/he would reciprocate. There are three aspects of a great result: preop planning, intraop technique and postop follow up. Do get a few opinions and if you hear a recurring recommendation on size, which is generally based on the chest wall (rib cage) breadth, quality of your breast tissue, your general height and weight, please accept that a beautiful smaller cup may be preferred over an outlandish cup, which requires a lot of maintenance.

As a plastic surgeon whose practice is heavily weighted in breast (Reductions, LIfts, Congenital Anomalies, Cancer Reconstruction and Cosmetic), I have learned from my large busted patients that large breasts cause musculoskeletal pain, especially on the shoulders. Additionally, women are limited on their clothing options and often subject to teasing from both sexes, as well as impacted with exercise. You should also factor in that your breasts will change with pregnancy, weight gain/loss and menopause. Involve your best confidants, spouse, etc. I am sure you will choose well.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Cup Size Isn't Standardized

+1

The problem with talking about cup size is that there's no standard to bra sizes. Depending on where you buy your bra will depend on the size. A C in one bra may be a D in another. So I don't advise patients to look at the cup size. Look at the implant that makes you look the best. Try on sizers on with a sports bra and different clothing and determine which size you like the best. After surgery go to a reputable boutique lingerie store where they will measure you correctly for a bra.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

D cup is safe.

+1

Hi! Beware of going too big. There are more complications, and very large breasts age badly. In Manhattan, we would not go larger than a D cup for breast augmentation.

I use a disposable implant SIZER during surgery to find the best size, before opening the permanent implants. This takes the gues work out.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Just because you can doesn't mean you should

+1

The rate of complications clearly increase as you go with larger sized implants. In many instances it may be better to stage the operation In the united states, the largest size implants approximate 1200cc. However, your name would seem to indicate that you are in London. It is my understanding that larger implants are avialable in Europe. However, this would go under the title of: "just because you can doesn't mean you should". Schedule a consultation with a credentialed surgeon and review the risks that are associated with larger sized breast implants.

There are many issues for you to discuss with the doctors you meet

+1

First of all, the maximum sized implant for you would be a high proflie implant of maximum width for your chest wall diameter. What ever cup size this creates would depend on how you want clothing to fit your body.

Please realize that maxing out the implant size for your body will lead to a variety of future problems such as numbness, tightness, capsular contractures, stretched out skin etc. Usually it is wisest to go more natural!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

The key to a great result is preoperative planning

+1

First of all I like to get my patients away from talking about "cup size" because there is a huge variability in what one bra maker's "B" cup might be. One company's "A" cup might equal another's "C" cup, etc.

I think the it mostly depends on your tissues and your measurements. As far as your tissues, have you had children before? If the breasts have previously "expanded" with lactation from pregnancy, there is usually more tissue laxity and it can be easier to accommodate a larger implant than in a patient that has never had children and the tissues are "tighter".

As far as measurements, I think there are a number of scientific measurements that I utilize in the office (something we call biodimensional planning) that helps "guide" a patient to an implant size or range of sizes that best fits their body and chest wall frame. Just like when a tailor measures you for a suit, there are certain numbers that we use make sure the coat is custom fitted to our bodies. In the same way, a breast implant gets bigger in diameter as the size gets larger and using really larger sizes in small patients can lead to many more complications, such as synmastia (implants merging together in the center with no cleavage) and implant malposition such as bottoming out and implants being way to far out on the sides.

Studies have shown many more complications in breast implant sizes over 400 cc. If you naturally wear a 30 B then that tells me you are quite narrow chested and even if you are a natural B cup I think you might be able to get easily 1 full cup size increase, maybe 1 1/2 depending. When you try to do more than that is when you run into problems.

Overstretching your tissues with way too large of an implant can be a bad problem. Some patients may like this in the short term, but over time the overstretching and tension on the tissues causes more issues with implant visibility, wrinkling, and rippling as well as malposition. I do a number of revision breast surgeries and when these patients come back and want a smaller implant, if the breast skin has been overstretched by an initial larger implant, oftentimes a breast lift is necessary which adds additional scars.

Think about it carefully, because the best chance of a successful good result involves careful preoperative planning.

I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD

There are many variables to consider

+1

The best way to tell will be for you to meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can give you your options after examining you. There are limitations based on the dimensions of your chest, the tightness or laxity of your breast tissue and skin, and the size you want to achieve. I have all of my patients size with the implants in a sports bra to see what they may expect. You will know a lot more after your consultation. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

It depends on your anatomy, your surgeon, and your expectations

+1

Going from a B cup to C or D cup with breast augmentation is certainly possible and is a straightforward procedure. When a patient wishes to be much larger than that, I will always advise them of the toll large implants can take on your breast skin over time. The skin often cannot tolerate the large implants and will stretch over the course of the years, and over time the results may not be as aesthetically pleasing as you would like.

It's always easier to go bigger later, but more difficult to downsize. I would have a very honest discussion with your surgeon about the pros and cons of a modest augmentation versus a very dramatic difference, and as long as you are comfortable with the plan, then you should proceed.

Good luck!

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Maximum cup size depends on the current anatomy and expectations

+1

The proper breast implant size is a range and not a fixed number in my mind. The maximum cup size you can reach depends on the current breast diamters, tissue thickness etc. A clinical exam by a plastic surgeon will give you an answer based on measures. In general, it is possible to reach a C or D cup. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS