Is First Maxillary Premolar a Good Abutment for Replacing Canine and Lateral Incisor in Fixed Bridge?

Hi i need to know if a patient can have a fixed bridge replacing a lateral incisor and canine in maxilla on one side with central incisor and first maxillary premolar as abutments?Someone told me fixed bridges should never cross canines in anterior teeth replacement as they are the cornerstones of mouth.Is that correct?

Is Upper Premolar an adequate Abutment to Support a 4 tooth Bridge?

+1

Possibly depending on the amount of root structure, bone density, as well as the type and strength of bite forces that will be placed on it.  Since you are replacing a cuspid which carries alot of biting force, you may need more abutments than just two.  If you have adequate bone in the area of the missing teeth, I wouild consider dental implants as your first and best choice.

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Bridge Or Implant For Replacing Lateral Incisor And Canine?

+1

The scenario that you are describing would typically be much better suited for two dental implants and crowns as compared to a 4 unit bridge.  Dental implants are now the standard of care in dentistry and should always considered when replacing a missing tooth/teeth.  There are situations where a bridge would be a satisfactory choice, but I would place implants in this case.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Is first premolar a good abutment?

+1

The short answer is good but many other factors such length of the premolar condtion of pemolar type of bite or what your new bridge would be functioning against. Get all the information first good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

What about implants?

+1

In my experience, It would be much better to place implants in those areas. The span from the first premolar (#5) to the Central (#8) is too long and is a set up for failure. If you were to do a bridge, I rather see cross arch satbilizaton, but again, implants are a much better option. Either way make sure to take the occlusion into account.

Andrew E. Rudnick, DMD
West Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist