Should I Have Lipo of my Jawline or a Neck Lift at 42? (photo)

I'm 42 and I don't like how my cheeks seem to be melting into my neck. I used to have a more visible jawline, but after 3 pregnancies my jawline seems to have gone missing. I am scheduled for tummy tuck/neck lipo in 3 months, but when I feel around my jaw I don't feel lots of fat, mostly skin... and under my chin isn't what bothers me so much. It's the area where my cheeks meet my jaw that bothers me. I want to see my corner jawbone. What will work best to give me a more sculpted jaw again?

Early jowls and jawline issues

+2

Mahalo for the photos.  Your jawline irregularity may be caused by loss of elasticity of the cheek skin resulting in early jowling.  This is not excessively fat, so I wouldn't recommend liposuction.  I suggest addressing the lack of support for your jowls using a MACS lift that can be combined with or without the neck lift.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

+2

Looking at your photo, I would say you are a fair candidate for a procedure I call a "mini-neck lift"  This involves micro-liposuction of chin, cheek, and jawline, followed by platsymal plication.  This will result in a more defined jawline, and profile.  Having said this, I would not rate you as a "slam-dunk" for major yield of improvement.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Jowling and Liposuctioning

+2

The combination of tissue descent in the jowl area with the skin that loosens usually requires a lower facelift for optimal improvement.  Adding filler to the area will usually lead to further jowling or no improvement.  Some plastic surgeons will liposuction the jowls.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts and facial procedures each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Suctioning of fat above the jaw line is generally not recommended.

+2

In the patient 42 years of age liposuction of the chin and neck may be of some benefit. This depends upon the contribution of subcutaneous fat versus descent of the platysma muscle. The suction can be carried up to the jaw line but not above it. Volume distribution generated by a facelift is indicated for problems in this area.

Neck lift versus submental liposuction

+2

A neck lift would give much better improvement rejuvenation of the neck  than simple liposuction. It is difficult to tell, but there may be some submental and subplatysmal fat present in the neck. This will be best addressed with a neck lift, which tightens the platysma muscle and removes both types of fat in the neck to rejuvenate the jaw neck line. For example of patient's  your same age, please see our neck lift photo gallery on our website

Jawline, chin, and neck liposuction surgery

+2

I regularly perform jawline liposuction to correct the upper neck and chin areas.  This is a more conservative option that may be suitable for your needs. Surgery90210

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Jawline issue

+2

This is tough to answer based on your description and even photos.  In my opinion, you are still young.  This means that you should have enough tight skin over the jowls that I think you can get away with liposuction alone.  In my practice, I would offer you SmartLipo (laser assisted liposuction).  Good luck.

Dr. Vasisht - South Shore Plastic Surgery 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will actually create a problem for you.

+2

You would do great with perlane filler in the chin and the depressor aguli oris area (the pre jowl sulcus). I hope your tummy tuck is worth your while.  It can be but the big scars and skin numbness can be a big price to pay for a flatter tummy.

Options to help with jawline

+2

From your pictures, I see the issue being that you have some jowls beginning to form along your jaw.  I personally do not think that liposuction of your neck is going to be helpful to you.  Without examining you, I can't tell for sure if you would be a good candidate for a neck lift, but this type of surgery can be helpful with improving jowls.  Sometimes, fillers can be used as well, to help camouflage the jowls.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consult with your surgeon

+1

Thank you for posting a picture. It looks as if you may be a candidate for Smartlipo of the submental area. Smartlipo will remove unwanted fat deposits while tightening the skin. Consult with your surgeon to find out if this is the best procedure for you.

Bruce E. Katz, MD