Pre-Breast Lift - Does It Matter If I Sleep in a Bra?

Does It Actually Matter if You Sleep in a Bra...is It Better Not to ? i definitely want to get the surgery because i hate how my chest looks.

Bra Benefits?

+1

Despite the numerous strong opinions in regards to the use of bras,  there is no  evidence one way or another that the use of bras are useful. Nevertheless, intuitively it makes sense to use it while you are upright ( to counteract the effects of gravity etc.).

Sleeping bra following breast lift

+1

IF your skin is lax and/or there is little support for relatively large implants, you will be at risk for recurrent sagging. Therefore the long term use of a bra while sleeping will likely reduce the risk of recurrent sagging (ptosis)

Sleeping in bra before or after surgery not mandatory

+1

Sleeping in a comfortable cotton bra without underwire can provide nice support for augmented breasts, however in my practice we do not make this a mandatory part of the pre-op or aftercare procedures. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

Michael W. Niccole, MD

Preop Bra

+1

I don't recommend any special garments/bras prior to a breast lift with or with a breast augmentation, and postoperatively you will initially sleep in a surgical bra as we monitor your recovery.

Donald R. Revis Jr, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping in a bra before surgery

+1

I have never heard of the suggestion to sleep in a bra before breast sugery. As far as I know, it will not offer anything in terms of improvement of the final result.

+1

I have a question for you. Where did you come up with the pre surgery need for a bra? I wish to understand your issues. I feel this is a purely personal decision not medical. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Sleeping in a bra- personal preference

+1

Whether to wear a bra at night is a personal preference- some women prefer it, some don't. It will not have any impact on your surgical recovery or outcome. Post-operatively, however, many surgeons recommend that women wear a specific bra (or bra type) for a few weeks or longer.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Sleeping in bra before surgery will not help result.

+1

Except for the comfort you may get from sleeping in a bra, it will not affect the outcome of your breast lift surgery.  Your outcome will depend on your skin quality, the volume of your breasts, the skill of your surgeon and extrinsic factors such as use of tobacco and diabetes.  I have my patients buy 2 sports bras before surgery which are just slightly snug when worn.  Sports bras because they have a soft, wide, elastic band where the lower incision will lie and I don't want sharp pressure on this area and slightly snug as this will give the support needed for the healing of the incisions but not so tight as to make the wearing of it uncomfortable.  I have my patients wear the bras at all times unless showering for 4 weeks.  This protocol is very well accepted and tolerated.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Don't waste the discomfort

+1

There is no reason to sleep in a bra prior to surgery as it will have no effect on the outcome.  After surgery a non underwire bra will be more comfortable while healing.  Good Luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping in a Bra BEFORE Breast Lift Surgery does NOT make a difference

+1
Sleeping in a bra before surgery will make no difference whatsoever in the outcome of your breast lift surgery. Sleeping in a bra immediately after the surgery will be more comfortable and will definitely reduce inflammation and hasten healing. Dr Peter Aldea