Would It Matter if I Got Facial Fat Grafting Before I Got Facial Bone Reduction?

Hello, I was thinking about gettting fat grafting into my cheeks, nasolabial folds, and marrionette lines to see if that helps improves my face. In my 2nd round of surgeries I would like to get a chin reduction, possibly a jaw and cheekbone reduction with buccal fat removal. Could getting these procedures mess up or dissolve the fat grafting? Thanks in advance!

Bone reduction and fat grafting

+2

Do the bone work first. Perhaps it woul not be difficult for anexperienced surgeon to do them at the same time.

Reverse order of surgeries

+2

Probably better to do the bony work done first to set the table for the overlying soft tissue work.

Adding fat is easier than trying to remove fat that you are not happy with.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facial bone reduction after fat grafting

+1

You do want to make sure that your fat grafted areas aren't disrupted before the fat cells' new blood supply is in place. I find that the fat grafts can take about 18 months to fully take hold.

You also want to be careful about reducing the facial skeleton too much as this can counteract the results from doing the fat transfer procedure.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD