Does It Matter if a Doctor/Surgeon is Not Tech Savvy?

If a doctor is not tech savvy - meaning his office is relatively low-tech, he doesn't use the newer gadgets/machines and he isn't on the web much, is it a sign that my doctor doesn't keep up with the changing times in his practice and skills?

I think it is a sign that you are asking this question here.

+2

Let's face it, if you were sold on this doctor, would you be posting here?  Perhaps you don't like that fact that he does not have a bunch of shiny boxes in his office.  Maybe it is something else that rubs you the wrong way and you can't put your finger on it?  Please listen to your feelings.  There are plenty of docs out there who will be able to help you.  I recommend that you keep looking.

Regarding have the latest toys, I actually think that it is a good sign this doctor does not subscribe to them.  Doctors are just as susceptible to being attracted to shiny boxes as consumers.  This does not mean that the service is any better.  There are very few revolutionary new tools that are must haves.  Most of the devices out there are super oversold, and not based on a lot of science.  This doctor may be a dinosaur or he may actually be  a very sophisticated surgeon who understands what technology can do and what it can't do.  Unfortunately, you will have to make up your own mind.  My advise is be careful what you look for, you might find it.

Tech savvy not necessary

+1

What you want from your surgeon is a good doctor who can use his hands and operate well. I don't believe that computer savvy has anything to do with his/her ability as a doctor or surgeon. But, make sure he is a good fit for you - talk to patients of his that you know and trust!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon