Will E Matrix Treatments Help Fill in Nasolabial Lines over Time?

I have previously used restylane for nasolabial fill ins however my Dr. suggested that E Matrix would clean up that area, and the lines around the mouth after a few treatments, because it produces collagen. Is this true, I have not been able to find any information about this? Thank you

Resurfacing is not the solution for nasolabial folds

+2

Nasolabial folds are typically fairly deep - any resurfacing technique will create some collagen production but it is highly unlikely it would banish your nasolabial folds.

One option to discuss with your doctor and consider is the use of a dermal volumizer "above" the nasolabial fold in the cheek area. Often what makes the NLF more pronounced is the loss of volume in the areas of the cheek. A volumizing product like Radiesse or Sculptra can provide a very nice cheek enhancement and often this makes treating the nasolabial fold a non-issue...or a lesser one.

The lines around your mouth should improve with eMatrix as it does create collagen response, though unless the lines are very shallow, you will most likely see an improvement instead of a complete correction.

Many lines above the lip are a result of lip pursing - either unconscious or as part of muscle movement in your speech pattern. So expect them to return at a certain level even after the resurfacing.

Some patients consciously attempt to lessen the upper lip action in speaking - one old time help is the use of "frownies" - pasted paper that is glued to the skin overnight (or when you are at home alone) that make habitual lip pursing more difficult.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

EMatrix is for Fine Wrinkles, not for Nasolabial Folds

+1

The eMatrix uses fractionated bipolar radiofrequency energy which is called sublative rejuvenation. Sublative rejuvenation with the eMatrix is a very effective procedure to tighten and rejuvenate photoaged skin. It is used for patients with mild to moderate wrinkles and acne scars. It is also effective for the delicate skin around the eyes and on the neck. It does not work, however, for deeper lines like the nasolabial folds. Fillers such as Radiesse are my preferred choice for treating that area.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon