What Material Works Best for Asians to Build Tall Nose?

I am an asian female with flat nose. I am just wondering if using rib cartilage could help me build a tall nose? (Have had two nose jobs already; used a 4 cm silicon for the first nose job then switched to an 7 cm one but still desire a taller nose) Thank you so much in advance!

Taller nose may not necessarily be an attractive nose.

+1

Both rib cartilage and silicone have been popular material options for augmentation rhinoplasty for many years, and they both can raise the height of the nose bridge more than 7 mm. 

However, as the bridge is just one of many parts of the nose that contribute in having an attractive nose, you need to know how making your nose taller would affect the proportion and relationship of the different parts of the nose. I am sure what you want is an aesthetically pleasing nose, not just a taller nose.

Both rib cartilage and silicone implants can increase the height of the nose more than 7 mm. 

In Asian rhinoplasty, dorsal augmentation is sometimes limited by the skin envelope.

+1

Personally, rib cartilage is a safer and better long-term option for making a taller nose (dorsal augmentation) in Asian rhinoplasty and dorsal augmentation.  You've already had a couple rhinoplasties, and are not happy with the height of your nose even with a silicone implant.  Silicone implants have a much higher risk of extrusion and infection than rib cartilage, but are just as good at providing height and augmentation.  So, in your situation, the limiting factor may be the level of elasticity in your skin envelope.  A flat nose can only be made so tall before the skin can no longer be stretched.  Will using rib cartilage be a better option for you?  Yes.  Will it give you a taller nose?  Possibly no.    

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Revision Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Rib cartilage is a great option for building the nose higher in asian patients.  I see a lot of asian patients desiring revision rhinoplasty after having implants placed who are unhappy with their results.  I prefer to use cartilage from your own body so that the results are natural and balanced with the rest of your face.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

+1

Silastic implants are probably the best type of implants for Asian noses. Rib cartilage will warp and leaves a scar. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed Asaian Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and my preferred method of building up the nasal bridge has been the use of a straight silastic dorsal implant...the same as for all Rhinoplasty patients requiring a higher dorsum.  

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty to raise the bridge of your nose after two previous surgeries.

+1

I read your concern:

Since you have a 7mm thick implant right now and wish to have a higher bridge, you may consider consulting a physician skilled in the art of using Injectable Fillers for nasal augmentation. My experience and preference is with Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. This may be a better option for you than a third rhinoplasty surgery.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage to build a tall nose

+1

Thank you for the question. Rib cartilage will defiantly help you build a tall nose. It is easy to harvest, can shaped and there is less risk of infection or extrusion. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Dorsal augmentation in asian rhinoplasty

+1

Silicone implants have been used for many years with good success rate in asian rhinoplasty, and even though there is a tendency to move away from the use of synthetic material in rhinoplasty there is still definitely a role for silicon there.  Especially for dorsal augmentation, not so much for nasal lengthening - when you try to lengthen the nose, there is always an excess of skin tension over the implant, and that is when problems of extrusion and displacement occur.  Not quite sure from switching from 4cm to 7cm means? Maybe you meant "mm", not "cm" for implant width? Don't think it is the length -hard to imagine that you lengthened your nose 3cm...

Rib cartilage grafts have been used quite frequently for dorsal augmentation so it is an alternative. However, they tend to warp if a long piece of catilage is used, and they all universally look somewhat fake. I personally like using minced cartilage grafts for cosmetic (not structural) augmentation- they look more natural and there is no warping. Having said that, why not use a larger silicon implant if you already had two without problems?

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Nasal Augmentation in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

I'm assuming thats 7cm in length... There was a recent article in a pier reviewed journal, that silicone implants work best in Asian rhinoplasty. I have been using custom carved silicone implants in ethnic rhinoplasty for many years with excellent results. Silicone works well because you can carve the shape and size that fits perfectly for each individual nose. Make sure  do computer imaging before your next rhinoplasty to ensure that you and your surgeon are on the same page as far as height goes.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Material Used to Increase Nasal Projection in Asian Nose

+1

I have always preferred using the patient's own tissue rather than silicone in augmenting the Asian nose. It is much easier on the patient and just as reliable to use septal and ear cartilage rather than rib cartilage.