What Material Should Be Used in a Rhinoplasty for a Keloid Prone Asian?

I don't believe using cartilage from my own body for a rhinoplasty would be a good idea. Which material would be best for me? I hear both positive and negative reviews on silicone and am really confused. Please help!

Best material for rhinoplasty

+1

I'm not sure what your reservations are regarding using your own cartilage, but in my experience it is the best material to use for grafting.  Synthetic implants carry a higher risk of infection, extrusion, and migration and so rarely achieve a permanent result. 

Keloid should not influence which material to use for augmentation rhinoplasty.

+1

Choosing which material to use for your augmentation rhinoplasty should not be influenced by whether your are keloid prone or not. The decision should be based on what needs to be done, pros and cons of materials and your surgeon's preference.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty for keloid prone Asian

+1

Keloids can be completely avoided through closed rhinoplasty techniques where all the incisions are made inside of the nose.  The type of grafting material does not have any effect regarding keloids.  There are two options for cartilage; the first is harvesting cartilage from the patient’s nose for a small amount of augmentation and the second for a larger augmentation would be using a silicone implant specifically designed for the Asian patient.  With regards to silicone implantation, it is always best not to overstretch the skin with a very large implant since this can lead to necrosis and breakdown.

Cartilage from your own body can be taken from your septum or ear without visible scars.

+1

I'll start by answering your question regarding which material is best for you - your own tissue (autologous).  Your own tissue has a much lower risk of infection or extrusion.  Cartilage can be harvested from within your nose (septum) or from your ear, through an incision hidden in the crease behind your ear.  Even in Asian patients these areas heal impeccably.  Silicone implants are commonly done to build up Asian noses, but have a much higher risk of infection and extrusion (ulcerating through the skin), especially in the tip, so in my mind are inferior to your own tissue.   

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Poor scarring should not prevent you from getting the appropriate rhinoplasty

+1

First, poor scarring is a common problem for Asians. However, keloids almost never form in the nose area.

I've been able to remake an entire nose using only ear cartilage from an incision behind the ear, so I prefer that to synthetic implants which may cause long term problems. 

Rib grafts DO leave a donor site scar, so I would avoid that if at all possible.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS